Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

Steam Mop Thread 2011

User
13 years ago

I am looking to purchase one and when I do the searches here, most of the threads go back to 2007. I know the models and products in general have changed over the last few years so I am hoping to start a more current thread here taking liberty that today is 12/28/2010....

I am looking for a steam mop that will be easy and efficient(problem free?) to use mostly on tile flooring. I have a large kitchen/foyer/laundry room with tile that the sheddy dog hangs out on in addition to bathroom floors that I would love to use it on.

What is the general wisdom/recommendation? (Also looking for info like cord length- how long you have to heat up all that good stuff and while we are at it $100 is the very top of what I would spend)

Shark? Bissell? Bionaire? Haan?

I have seen raves as well as very negative reviews on all so hoping for an updated assessment.

Have at it- and thanks!!

Comments (23)

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I recently bought a Shark at Target. I have used it twice on tiles and like it. I have no experience with others.

Before that I sat on the floor and washed and rinsed each tile and grout line. I had to change water often. That surely was a labor intensive method.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you soxxxx!
    Time for a bump and to get this 2011 info going here.

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

My in-laws just bought me a Shark, because I wanted a product I could use my own cleaner with, rather than something like the Swiffer where you have to use their bottles. I have not used it yet, but am very excited to give it a try!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

saferproducts, I use a Bona mop (as Bona cleaners are Green Guard certified and approved by Healthy Child Healthy World). http://www.mybonahome.com/news/2010/08/healthy-child-healthy-world-partnership.html

You can now get something similar from Rubbermaid called the Reveal Mop. You can fill with your own cleaner.

These types of mops are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reveal Mop

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

I saw the Bona mop advertised, and forgot what it was called! Thanks - it looks GREAT!!!!!!

• happy2b…gw
    13 years ago

When it comes to steam mops, I am lost. I saw this on BJ's website. I am wondering what the cleaning tipsters on this forum think of it. MS-30 Multi-Purpose Steam Mop

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with it but I did a quick search for reviews. I'm leary of these cheaper machines. I've used the "Cadillac" of steamers in the past (Ladybug) and I just don't know how these cheaper ones stack up. If you're serious about steam I'd look at a higher end unit (maybe not as high as Ladybug $$ but there are some nice ones).

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/haan-ms30-multi-purpose-vapor-steam-cleaners.html

http://www.amazon.com/Haan-MS-30-Multi-Purpose-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0023W6XEK

• arizonny
    13 years ago

If you are including web addresses in your post, why not use the "link" box at the bottom of the page so that we don't have to copy and paste?

Here is a link that might be useful: Like this

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Because I posted more than one so I just put them in the message. I believe you can only use the link for one address. If you notice above, I did use it when just referring to one link.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Test

Here is a link that might be useful: Test

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Just checking to see if it works. Takes some work but it can be done (in a round about way).

I just hate cut & paste...don't mind me

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm interesting- I was excited to see the rubbermaid one but it is not steam is it? I would like steam not just because of the cleaning but also since it dries so quickly. I use a sponge mop with a towel/tshirt/rag wrapped around it to minimize streaks. I usually only use water; sometimes I use a cleaning product.
    Somehow though,no matter what DH or DD(Darling Daughter and or Darling DOG) is magnetically drawn to the wet floor and leave footprints there no matter what!! So I figured the steam mop should be close to instantaneous drying and that might solve my problem.
    My top price limit is $100 and will be honestly looking to spend way less than tha.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

There are various Shark models, at different prices and with, or without extra heads and pads.

I bought and really like the Shark S3501. It comes with different heads and pads and it is well under $100 even if ordered on line with shipping.

HERE are the reviews on it. It has 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

Sue

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you chemocurl- that looks very promising. Going to check it out and might be purchasing. At a glance it looks really good- but it seems that it although walmart/target websites have it available for sale it is not in the stores. (Well again, thank you--this weekend hope to look at this a bit more.
    this looks good !!

• gailee
    13 years ago

I have used the Shark for several years, and have enjoyed it. How ever it is now time to replace it, and was going to go with the Oreck. But After reading this forum, I may just go with the newer Shark. does it still have to be pumped for more steam? Gailee

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I may just go with the newer Shark. does it still have to be pumped for more steam?
    Yes, the one I linked to above has to be pumped, but I like that I can add a bit more steam if wanted or needed for something kind of stubborn.

Sue

• n2cookin
    13 years ago

I have a Haan steam mop and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Why? Because it is a quality made product and very durable. I was on the Shark bandwagon a few years ago.....and was very disappointed. My Shark broke in half after 2-3 uses. Thought this was a factory defect, so I was willing to return it for a new one. The 2nd Shark broke in half also. The Haan does a wonderful job of steaming my floors (vinyl/hardwood) and I couldn't be happier.

• xine
    13 years ago

I bought a Shark last year and love it! Yes, it has to be pumped, but I just figure I'm giving my upper right arm a workout. LOL

I use it on my tile floors as well as my hardwoods. The only problem I have with it (and I'm sure this is the case with all mopping, not just steam mops) is that I have water droplet marks on my hardwood floors. They are visible when the floor is dry. I have the same issue when I wipe my wooden kitchen table with a wet cloth. So, unless (until?) I'm willing to take a soft cloth to the floor to dry up the steam and buff it to a shine, I'm going to live with it.

My back and I LOVE the Shark Steam Mop!

• chloe203
    13 years ago

I have a Eureka enviro steam mop that is about 10 years old. I really like it and it has certainly held up a long time.
    I only use it on my wood floors. I still do my tile floors on my hands and knees because the grout stays cleaner that way. Mopping tile floors pushes all the dirt into the gout

I've also used my DIL's Bissell which you have to push a button to get the steam.
    I tended to get the floors too wet when I used the bissel so I prefer Eureka envirosteamer
    There is a review on Amazon under the Enviro steamer in which the reviewer has tested many of the mops.

She actually tested water temperature and sharks is not hot enough to sanitize.
    The winner in her test was the Eureka envirosteamer . She said it was the sturdiest, had really hot water, the largest water tank and the longest cord .
    It is really interesting to read her review.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam mop review on Amazon

• mdwstgrl
    13 years ago

I have had the shark steam mop for a couple of years. I thought it was the greatest thing at first but then the mop head would not stay in place due to poor design. Now I see the new shark model has a "sock" head which I think would solve the problem. It does a nice job cleaning but I had refil a couple of times and the cord is bit cumbersome. You are using it on tiles so I think it would be great for deep cleaning.
    I have to admit I don't use the steam mop at all and it is heading for the garbage. I now use the reveal mop by rubbermaid...I LOVE IT. I can add my own cleaning solution to the bottle, the pad is great and washable, no cord, love it. I use it on hardwood floors (filled with murphys and water) and on tile (filled with vinegar and water). Best of luck.

• emagin
    12 years ago

Has anyone used the Bona cleaning products with the Shark steam mop on marble floors?
    I use the shark on marble floors and it works well, but wondering if you can do a combo to get more cleaning power.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I am not too much of a procrastinator over analyzer:) so finally I bought the shark steam pocket mop at walmrt to test it out. It's pretty good. The reviews I read did mention that there is no on /off switch and I agree that is less htan ideal. I do like that it uses tap water, and it has a long chord. Several of the review mentioned that it stopped working after a few months so I shall see about that. But so far, so good. I will have to test it out a bit more. I think I will decide after a few more uses and if not convinced I will return it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi- I figured I should update now that it is almost 6 months later... I have been using the shark all this time and am very pleased.Again my only real complaint is the lack of an on off switch but other than that, I like that it is only water that I need and it does work fine. I know it was not the top of the line ( I think I paid 79) and it has the 2 cloth covers that fit with velcro so they stay on (and I wash them constantly and air dry them). I did notice that even though the model numbers were the same that some had a 20 ft cord and some had a 25 ft cord.
    Anyway I have been pleased with this (shark 3501)..

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County