Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

how to clean drip mark off stainless dishwasher?

meg711
16 years ago

I have a Bosch stainless dishwasher with two loooooong drip marks down the front that seem to be permanent. I've tried almost everything out there and while the marks seem to disappear when the DW door is wet, the marks are visible again once the door dries. They aren't visible at every angle but they're there and they bug me. I can't imagine that they were made with anything but water so I don't know why they won't come off.

Anyone know of a safe way to get rid of these drip marks? (The manufacturer recommends liquid stainless steel cleaners with a soft cloth. No mention a brand or what to do with stubborn marks.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (192)

• johnfnelson
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone. They are very helpful. Evidently Bosch has a real problem with its stainless steel. Bosch is the only manufacturer that we have had problems with. Definitely a flawed material. I like the "sadist" comment.

• justine07marie
    6 years ago

I came across this post looking for a way to get the water stains off my dishwasher. It's a whirlpool and not even a year old and they were driving me NUTS! I know this is an old post but see it has some pretty recent comments so I thought I would share what worked for me and hope it will for you too! I had purchased a stainless steel cleaner and it does a great job of shining them up but it did absolutely nothing for the water/drip stains! The stains I had were not white, like from hard water they actually looked like stains in the finish where it was a completely different color..! ☹️ I had tried scrubbing bubbles, I saw where that had worked for someone else and the pictures they posted were exactly what mine looked like, however that didn't work for me.. ☹️ I tried a magic eraser and thought I had possibly ruined my dishwasher.. there were streaks ALL over it and you could STILL see those stupid stains!! I kept seeing baby oil mentioned and thought what the hell might as well try that.. I put just a little bit on a wash cloth and rubbed in circles all over the dish washer and then went back over rubbing with the grain.. they are GONE. Every single one! My dishwasher looks brand new!!! I can't believe all those expensive cleaners they sell and all I needed was a little dab of 97 cent baby oil..!! And it smells better too! I hope this can help someone else like it did me!

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    6 years ago

I have a Bosch too! I agree that there are issues. The Bayes product easily resolved the issues. No more stains, no more finger prints... It is applied once a week, that is all.

• craftkath
    6 years ago

This does seem to be a Bosch problem - we purchased a 4 piece appliance package a few years back for a new kitchen and each one has had finish issues. Stove had flame marks the first week that were permanent and water drip marks do not come off with stainless spray, vinegar or anything I've tried. It almost seems that they actually forgot to put a final layer on at the factory. I would never purchase Bosch again or recommend to anyone. For such high end products they should start working on customer issues.

• PRO
    Camden Landscape Group
    6 years ago

I cleaned all my stainless steel appliances with either dawn and vinegar first wiping with the grain or Windex. Let dry completely. Then use a Magic Eraser going with the grain. Removed drip and water stains like magic. First time you may need to use a little elbow grease but they will come out.

• faflocco
    6 years ago

I tried someone’s suggestion of Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Sprayed it on the drip mark on my Whirlpool stainless steel refrigerator & used a clean paper towel to wipe it off. Then I used another paper towel to rub baby oil on the stainless & buffed it out with a microfiber cloth. It not only took that ugly drip mark off, but the stainless shines like new. Hope this helps someone who has these unsightly drip marks.

• m c
    6 years ago
    • Cleaning a stainless steel dishwasher door is so easy! Just wipe with WD-40!!!! It cleans everything off and leaves a sparkling shine. I have tried stainless cleaners- WASTE OF MONEY. When I got my new appliance, it had a sticker on it that I couldn't get off all the way. I called the appliance company and they told me to use WD-40; that's what they cleaned all stainless with. I have used WD-40 ever since and it works great; it removes streaks, drip marks, everything!!! Use WD-40. It's cheap, easy, and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• florencemackie
    6 years ago

Easy.... I did the silver thing . I used Hagerty Silver Foam with a wet sponge with a little of the pink foam on it . Wiped it thoroughly with the grain. Then got a wet soft cloth and wiped it clean of the silver foam and dried with another soft cloth. My SS was as good as NEW. The Hagerty is in the white container not the blue one. Very mild. fmhickory

• cnyers
    6 years ago

I use Bar Keepers Friend Multipurpose Cooktop Cleaner (NOT the regular BKF cleaner). Damp sponge, wipe very lightly with the grain, then finish off with regular SS spray cleaner. Works like a charm, no scratching. You'll notice on the sponge it actually takes off that bit of tarnish that builds up on SS.

• Increase The Fancy
    6 years ago

I Agree WD-40 is THE BEST!!!! at cleaning all stainless steel, I heard they even use it in the Big Box stores for their displays!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

Mineral oil...no odor.

In fact, almost any oil will work.

• ledmond10
    6 years ago

I looked at the Bayes product via the link above.

The web site said the product was “EPA-approved.”

That is a total BS statement. May be an effective product, but I would not buy it based on misleading info like that.

• 1msr
    6 years ago

I spent 2 6-hour days with every product in house and garage trying to clean this stainless. The WD40 worked the best, I also did not have to spend another hour shining it up. It does not wipe off entirely, leaves a bit of a protective coating. Only used a small amount on paper towel, then also swiped at my oak cabinets with it - wow, destroyed all old grease/dust/gas/soap residue, left them shining and silky to the touch, even though I generally clean them with soap & water, they still seemed "dull". (I did have these refinished with a harder lacquer several years ago). They look brand-new again. I would try a small area first, look at it sideways in the light. It was amazing.

• Gloria Judd
    6 years ago

My cleaning lady found the answer. Put a few drops, tiny amount, of Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner on a wet sponge, wipe the front of the dishwasher with it, and then dry. She did it a month ago, the stains never returned.

• Lori M
    5 years ago
    I have a SS refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. Purchased in 2014 . Since then I have been frustrated at not being able to get rid of the water streaks. No matter what I did, they wouldn’t go away. Tonight I used Dawn to wash them down then I rinsed and dried them real well. I followed with wiping them down with a BAKING SODA AND VINEGAR PASTE on a microfiber cloth. IT WORKED. LOOKS LIKE NEW. To shine use whatever you like. I used stainless steel cleaner. Perfect!
  • susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

I can.t believe all the extra work people go through for stainless steel fashion when all it takes is a damp sponge to clean white appliances.

I HATE my SS dishwasher front. What a chore.

• Gloria Judd
    5 years ago

My cleaning lady found the answer but you have to be careful. She puts a SMALL dab of Easy Off Oven Cleaner on a damp cloth and wipes the water marks away and they stay away. She repeats it once a month.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

Easy Off has toxic fumes.

• HU-529854753
    5 years ago

TRY THESE WITHOUT A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY:

To remove the run-marks use SIMPLE GREEN. Just spray it right on the stainless steel and wipe down-any direction. (out of 3 runs, 2 came right up, the third run needed 1 more spritz & rub.)

But then you need to shine 'er up so use PLEDGE SPRAY FURNITURE POLISH- Clean & Shine

using a USED DRYER SHEET (no fuzz, etc) - both these tips I got online and has always worked. Go WITH the grain here. Then voila! Mark-free & shiny! I just did this an hour ago. Ahhh!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

Several years ago the absolute best way to fix a problem like mentioned in the OP's '07 post was to go to an auto supply shop and get their finest auto paint finishing materials.

• Carol Walker
    5 years ago

I just cleaned very stubborn streaking from the front of our Bosch dishwasher —after other products were tried and failed—with Wright’s Silver Cream. Streaks are gone completely. Just to make sure, I recleaned the surface with a standard cleaner that would remove any masking if there was a residue hiding the streaks. Nope! Streaks are gone. I was careful to clean with the grain and rub with moderate pressure.

• Carol Walker
    5 years ago

I found a complete solution. After trying various SS cleaners, vinegar, etc. I used Wright’s Silver Cream. Worked perfectly. Streaks are gone, not camouflaged or hidden with oil or residue. Took only a few minutes—my streaks went all the way from the handle to the bottom. Used moderate pressure and made sure I rubbed horizontally (with the grain). Cleaned area not distinguishable from rest of panel. No downside in my experience. Consider this and avoid wasting time and effort with vinegar, which can dissolve some deposits but cannot remove streaks. Oil hides but does not remove.

• Mo
    5 years ago

I ended up here after looking for a solution to the same problem. My one year old Bosch dishwasher also had long streaks, and a bunch of other whitish spots. Dishwashing liquid didn't work, and neither did Scotchguard SS Cleaner & Polish. Someone mentioned mineral oil, but I don't have any. I have a 10 year old bottle of original Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil, tried it and it works great! I put a little on a tissue to test a small a small area, and ended up wiping the entire door with it. I wiped side to side with the grain. A little goes a long way.

• Chris Bailey
    5 years ago

I've found olive oil/vegetable oil works as well as any stainless cleaner. But then my dog comes along and licks it off, and I have tongue marks to deal with.

• Albert Somma
    5 years ago

Sgmkj22 thanks for the explanation of what the problem really is on my Bosch diswasher simply TARISH I used weights silver cream polish and wow like brand new.

• Jodi Stewart
    4 years ago

So, for finger prints and smudges WD-40/SS Cleaners/Furniture polish works great. BUT THOSE DRIP MARKS FROM WATER were driving me crazy. Read a post above suggesting Dow Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and then SS cleaner/polish. I sprayed on the Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner, let it sit for a few seconds and then rinsed off with water and a soft sponge. Gently dried and then applied SS cleaner/polish with micro fibre cloth. LOOKS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! DRIP MARKS ARE GONE! Many thanks for that suggestion!

• HU-2798611
    3 years ago

We have the same problem on our BOSCH Dishwasher there are drip of orange color similar galvanized all the time . I tried to clean it up with different detergents but no resaul. The stains ar visible when the door is wel and dry.

• margraf
    3 years ago

About a year ago, I was putting away a cup in in upper cabinet and bobbled it. It fell straight down and broke a glass coffee carafe filled with water for the next pot of coffee. It was a waterfall right across the counter and down mist of the front of my SS dishwasher. I could never get rid of those spots no matter what SS cleaner I used. Then I found this post. I wiped the entire surface down with white vinegar and then made a watery mix of baking soda and water. I dipped my vinegar rag into this solution and wiped down my dishwasher going with the grain. Those year old water stains finally disappeared! I then wiped it down with water, let it dry and used a SS cleaner. It looks brand new. Thanks for this information!!! I wish I had taken a before photo!

• HU-34414617
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For years, I was getting by with a spray SS cleaner/polisher. With Covid, my Whirlpool dishwasher got more use, and my girlfriend who moved in with me is not as careful as me with wiping water. Anyhow I had those unsightly marks that won't go away. I am glad I saw this wonderful post. I was going to try baking soda that I have found to be a great cleaner, but couldn't find it in my pantry. I however found WD-40 in my garage, and in 30 seconds all was good. Magic, I have a new dishwasher. By the way, last year WD-40 also saved me a paint job on my car, eliminating very fine and again unsightly scratches on my car door. Even if it is masking, it is fine with me. After all aren't any paint and finish masking?! ;-) Thanks those who mentioned WD-40. You made my day, and saved me a lot of hassle and dollars on products that may or may not work.

• Donna Bergman
    3 years ago

My appliance guy recommended using WD40 because it is water soluble and won't eave a buildup. However, the water stains on my dishwasher return once the WD40 dissipates. If you use the WD40 daily your dishwasher will look good as new. Still searching on a remedy to remove the waters drips permanently.

• Mo
    3 years ago

I tried olive oil tonight, and it worked great getting rid of the marks. I got the idea from the Bosch Australia site. But I wiped mine with just a wet microfiber cloth first. After it was dry I used cotton fabric from an old T-shirt to wipe the drip marks. I'm going to make an extra effort to keep the marks from accumulating. Sometimes I let things get away from me. Wish I knew how the marks end up there in the first place, since I never notice anything dripping.

https://www.bosch-home.com.au/experience-bosch/living-with-bosch/fresh-reads/the-best-way-to-clean-stainless-steel-appliances

• linda noack
    3 years ago

Writing in update to my former post. So many SS appliances now have the more protective Coating but I still have my Kitchen Aide and Wolf products that do not. I use the wet cloth with baking soda with the grain of the SS and then follow up with the vinegar water. After drying the appliances off, I put a little refined coconut oil on a soft cloth and rub it on the surface. The appliances just glow.

• David VDG
    3 years ago

We just bought a brand new Bosch DW. (Nov2020). The ’stainless’ steel does just the opposite!!!

We hate it!! You’d think they’d have perfected it by now.

• HU-915689854
    3 years ago

Thank you Carol W. for the Wright's Silver polish suggestion.....I read all the above suggestions and finally saw the Wright's! . I just tried a 3" corner at the bottom of my 5 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher door, stained like many others here. It worked immediately, a tiny amount with a damp paper towel and then I just decided to use a soft cloth afterwards to rub/polish. The overall tarnish I didn't realize that covers the door and the drip/streak stains gone.....The Wrights has been sitting in my cabinet all these years. No more irritation over the oven or dishwasher door :) Thanks again...... I will wait a few hours before I do the entire surface to see if anything adverse is going to occur. If it does, I will post

• Laura Olson
    3 years ago

Follow up appreciated. Hope this works for you!!

• HU-915689854
    3 years ago

HI Laura. I went ahead and finished the door face. It still needs some work but the drip stains are completely gone. There's a bit of vague spotting, It might just be because I followed up with a lightly soapy and wet papertowel, then a wet paper towel to remove the bit of soap before I buffed with a soft cloth.

I worked in a horizontal fashion as it was suggested in several posts here, I assumed that was with the grain. The surface feels just fine as I run my hand over it. I will do a second time to get it completely universally clear. Hope that makes sense.

BTW...I went to 4 grocery stores today to find more Wright's Silver Cream in the tub. I found one tub which is all I've ever used and also some Wright's silver polish in a squeeze bottle so I bought both. One of the managers in a store said they were not able to obtain the product, that the company had a shortage at this time.

Good luck!

• HU-171297052
    3 years ago

just got my bosch Nov 2020. The drip stain is right where it comes out of the detergent cup all the way to the bottom of inside door. They told me it’s because I use Gel detergent. which ive used for years with my kichenaid with no problems. This is ridiculous

• HU-299124215
    2 years ago

All of these hints and tips are interesting... BUT NOBODY anywhere, ever (Bosch I'm talking to YOU) has explained exactly HOW/WHY the "water streaks" end up ON the outside of a dishwasher door ! The door doesn't leak, people don't generally spill tons of water down the front of their cabinetry - yet these streaks appear & reappear as a constant feature. CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN the why of this -- fixes are nice to know about, but WHY ??

• krissie55
    2 years ago

Yes, water drips will happen while putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher Also, wet hands will drip water down the front when opening & closing the door. If drips are not wiped off immediately more drips will continue to add more streaks. Keep stainless steel cleaner handy and wipe front of dishwasher after each use if you do not want drip marks.

• Mo
    2 years ago

My hands aren't wet when I open & close the dishwasher. When I load & unload, the front of the door is parallel to the floor, so it's impossible for anything to drip on it.

• sgmkj22
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When the dishwasher dries the dishes at the end of the cycle, the heat evaporates the water off the dishes and the resulting water vapor exits through a vent. Most of this water just evaporates, but a little bit condenses and forms a drip mark below the vent. I suspect that all of these little drip trails are the results of the same process. On my Miele machine this vent is on the top left of the door face and my drip marks are always just underneath it.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I agree with the WD40. It cleans stubborn stains on stainless steel and doesn’t hurt the finish. I use it in my stainless steel range top with great results❣️

• HU-299124215
    2 years ago

Well Mo, sgmkj22 et al... we're observing same phenomenon, which seems to have no viable solution other than "staying on top" of the streaks. Which means every day I suppose. But it sure is bizarre that none of us can make real sense of where/how it comes from. For example the vent idea makes sense, however these evaporation vents are in different places on the appliances - yet some of us get the streaks from seemingly unrelated areas. ALSO I wonder if its mostly Bosch brand, or if its a general stainless steel door thing ? Maybe some of them have really thin/flimsy door panel which essentially translates "heat" from inside leaving ghost marks!

All I KNOW is that I hate stainless steel appliances, never understood why they became so popular as to be ubiquitous -- and the ONLY reason I have this new dishwasher in SS is because my husband insisted it would "look better" than my old white one. HA ! I think I'll have HIM "stay on top" of the streaks. Thanks everyone for chiming in... We're hosed. That's it.

• pete_in_miramar
    2 years ago

Tried the Wrights Silver Cream - it worked like a charm with very little rubbing after applying. Looke better than new.

Plan on putting something on the newly shiny surface to prevent a reoccurance.

• Aimee43 .George
    2 years ago

I tried Bar Keepers Friend . Worked great on my Bosch dishwasher

• Cindy Jackson
    2 years ago

I have a black Bosh DW. Not long after I first used it I noticed some dull marks on it. I’m assuming it was some type of food that had something in it that caused a reaction. I’ve used water & vinegar mixture with microfiber cloth, but nothing happened. After it dries, its still there. I am afraid to try anything else in fear of damaging it further. Any advice?

• Sandra Philbrook
    2 years ago

Wow! I have been living with an annoying drip down my Kenmore stainless steel refrigerator freezer door for years...nothing would work...until now! Thank you for recommending scrubbing bubbles and baby oil! Amazing! Worked like a charm :)

• HU-411973577
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have a KitchenAid stainless steel dishwasher and the outside of the door has become dark and streaked. What will remove the dark discoloration? Not sure I will ever buy stainless steel ever again.

• Sandi Salgado Jardine
    8 months ago

Read a lot of comments on here looking for a solution for my apartments streaky, smudged and drippy SS GE appliances, so closest at hand was coconut oil.

I don’t recommend it, as it left bad streaks.

Next up was Goo Gone.

Bingo - problem solved easy peasy!

Plus it smells wonderfully orange and fresh, so perfect for kitchen appliances - and very cost efficient, since a small amount on a paper towel went a long way!

• Nan Kni
    4 months ago

I was almost to the point of replacing the front of my Bosch dishwasher after one year due to drip marks and spots. But thanks to this thread I used Bartender's Secret and now it is beautiful. Thank you so much! For a new GE refrigerator, it says to use a wet cloth with a tiny amount of dish soap. Since that works, I will try that on the Bosch dishwasher for ongoing maintenance. Trying to get some consistency among the kitchen appliances.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm