Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a glass stove top

Posted by pkj1950 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 2:21

Over the holidays I was cooking fruit for a family favorite cobbler......this fruit juice w/dissolved sugar boiled over on my glass top stove. I cleaned it teh best I could with what time I had. Now there is a brown burnt on stain everywhere the boil over touched. Any suggestions on getting this off? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a glass stove top

Have you tried a glass surface stove cleaner or something like Softscrub? What about a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Kitchen Scrubber? DM swears by Ammonia for just about any sticky hard to remove spillage. Of course, with a glass top, you can always try a razor/scrape blade--gently scrape the spillage off the glass and follow up with the stove cleaner or soft scrub. That's the fastest way, but definitely check to make sure it doesn't void your warranty. Good luck!

o

Unfortunately "hot sugar" will etch the glass. This may be the problem with your stove top if it was not cleaned off immediately after splattering onto the glass top.

Best to always clean spills/splatters off immediately, don't wait until food has finished cooking.

o

Here is what I do when something burns on the cooktop. This might sound like a Cerama Bryte commercial, but I find this stuff really works. I put a little Cerama Bryte cleaner on the spill first and let it sit; this usually softens things up a bit. Next, I use the Cerama Bryte scraper (which is just a razor blade in a plastic holder ... you could just buy a cheap razor blade holder instead) to scrape off what has burnt on. Finally I use the yellow scrubpad to scrub any remaining residue off.

I've always worried about etching the cooktop with burnt sugar, but I have boiled over sugary stuff that has burnt on and I've been able to get it off without a problem. The razor blade with cleaner seems to do the trick.

o

Barkeeper's Friend is the best. Just sprinkle it on the stains (it's like Comet) and scrub with a wet paper towel. A little elbow grease takes care of it.

o

I use the same thing as Flicka and am in total agreement. I have boiled over some gumbo which is roux and had no problem cleaning it up. I've also boiled over some baked beans which I add brown sugar and had no problem cleaning it up. It just took a little elbow grease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here