Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Ceiling Fixture Won't Come Clean

Posted by Phillytizza (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 1:53

Ceiling Fixture, 3rd Bedroom

I've tried using BonAmi and soaking it in bleach overnight, but the brown stains won't come out of it! It is not frosted glass, it looks like maybe it's been painted and then baked, the parts that are supposed to be white look almost like milk glass. Does anybody have any ideas on what to try next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Ceiling Fixture Won't Come Clean

I have doubts that you will ever get it to the color you want, but you might try Softscrub with Bleach. Or a steel wool pad.

o

The brown stuff "may" be grease from your kitchen. Any good grease cleaner. Dawn dishwashing liquid comes to mind.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Barkeeper's Friend, made into a paste and left on for about 30 minutes, and it worked like a charm! I guess it was rust!

o

Glad it worked! I have two kinds of BKF. The powder and the liquid kind. Great on stainless steel. It's "active" ingredient is oxalic acid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here