Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Best dish towels?

jaxo
13 years ago

I'm looking for towels that are very absorbent, but also quick to dry out and be ready to reuse in a few hours after the next meal. The need to work really well and not be an decorator piece in the kitchen.

I also need machine washable that looks good straight out of the dryer without ironing.

Does this exist?

Comments (15)

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

Sounds like the ones I buy at walgreens cheap.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Old fashioned cotton cloth diapers.

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

I've just started using those super cheap packages of plain old style wash clothes. I find the small size (12X12) very handy for quick wipes and they are very absorbant. I find a dish towel to be too large and cumbersome. Remember that when you wash towel and stuff not to use fabric softeners because that makes them not as absorbant. I just noticed yesterday that Target had them on clearance for $2 a package, the Room Essentials brand (RE)! Just make sure they are 100% cotton.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wonder about that. Some say avoid cotton because it is slow to dry after each use, wrinkled after laundering and full of lint compared to linen.
    What about microfiber or a ShamWOW?

• arkansas girl
    13 years ago

I don't really like the shamwow concept because to me I find they have to be damp to absorb...that's what it seems to me anyway. I don't find those thin cheap wash clothes to be lenty but you could probably use a cotton dish cloth made of like a waffle weave or something like that rather than terry cloth. Microfiber would probably be real good too because you could get a package of small 12 X 12 ones for really cheap too. The thin wash clothes don't really take long to dry because they are really thin. Just lay them out flat or hang them up and they should be dry by the next cooking or just alternate them since they are so cheap and easy to wash.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I agree with getting some microfibre cloths. Just one thing-they must be washed separately, not with other towels and clothing, and never use any kind of fabric softener.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where do you put your damp dish drying towels to dry out other than over an oven door handle?

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

I tuck top edge of one of mine in the dishwasher door that I never ever have used excpt to store clean stuff. And one towel is always poked thru the refrig door handle.

• bookert
    13 years ago

chiming in here....
    Costco online carries microfiber kitchen towels that are wonderful. The pack has dish cloths and kitchen towels. They are waffle weave. Asst. colors. Don't remember the exact manufacture name, but it's something like the Eurow Group. Great price too! I've had several sets for years. Never any mildew smells.

Hope this helps.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Can you link us to the towels from Costco? I looked on their site and can't find them.

• bookert
    13 years ago

arizonny,

ugh! They aren't posted on Costco's site anymore! Sorry!
    Well, google Eurow products since that is the manufacturer.
    They are the kitchen waffle weaves and I actually ordered a set once directly from them a few years ago.
    Hope this helps.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

These perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Towels

• jannie
    11 years ago

See if you can find a package of terrycloth washcloths in your 99cent/dollar store. They work great, then just throw them in with your regular laundry. If you can get a dozen or more, you'll always have a clean dry one available.

• chefmom_2010
    11 years ago

Williams Sonoma striped basketweave kitchen towels are the best out there.

• bobnabq
    11 years ago

Google "microfiber dish towels". They absorb moisture / and dry quickly. I saw two for about $7 on Amazon, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere. Try Google Shopping, Yahoo shopping, etc. Good luck