Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yabberu

new cabinet chemical smell

yabber
13 years ago

Hello there,

Just wondering if anyone knows what to do about smelly cabinets. We got some new cheap cabinets for the bedroom and they smell terrible! Haha it's a real bummer, they look nice, but when I close the door it's just terrible when you go back in later.

I'm concerned that this is possibly toxic and I want to either replace them, or get the smell out of them.

Any tips on how to get rid of the smell? I've tried putting an airfreshener in the drawers but that doesn't even disguise it. (Also I don't really want to disguise it, I want to get rid of it!)

Thanks guys :-)

Comments (8)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Open the windows and open the cabinet wide. Leave it for a day or two. If you can haul it outdoors on a sunny dry day , that will help. Remember what my teacher, Mrs. Hall taught us. Sunshine and fresh air are the best deodorizers. Burning a candle or spraying air freshener will not help.

• probookie
    13 years ago

I feel for you! I bought 2 inexpensive cabinets to stack in a hall niche outside a tiny bathroom. The idea was to provide storage for towels, TP, soap, cleaning supplies, etc. Although they looked great when assembled, the cabinets absolutely reeked of formaldehyde and/or glue, to the extent that I worried about keeping them in the house.

Fortunately, they arrived in the summer, and I put them out on the deck in the sun (lying flat w/ doors open) when there was no chance of rain. Quite the PITA. After about 3 weeks of off-gassing in the heat (first time I've ever been thankful for temperatures in the 90s), the odor had decreased considerably, but was still slightly detectable.

The cabinets are now installed in the hall and loaded with everything I wanted to store, except towels. Wouldn't want to put anything in them that might pick up the odor. It likely will take a year or 2 before the cabinets have off-gassed to the point where the odor is no longer detectable. These cabinets were no bargain!

• yabber
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for all the info. I've learned a lot about VOC and urea-formaldehyde :-)

We've decided to put the cupbds outside in the sun for awhile (it's 33 degrees celsius here, hot!) and we'll put some plants in the rooms (aloe vera and peace lily).

If that doesn't fix it..new cabs it is!

• Lyn Reese
    last year

My bathroom vanity came from Home Depot. I’ve had the doors open a fan running towards it for days. Still came back. Tried everything. Can’t put towels in it. They said I could exchange it but after I had to have someone install it I would hate to do all that. It’s a beautiful vanity and not cheap.

• User
    last year

I have the same issue with a Home Depot vanity. It’s smelled for at least 6 months and nothing seems to help. Thinking it might be the glue under the counter, I’m considering painting it with Kilz primer. Has anyone tried this with any luck?

• Lyn Reese
    8 months ago

I was wondering that too, if the kilz would take care of that? Mine still has an odor and it’s almost 2 years. I’m gonna try it. Can’t hurt hopefully.

• SIGRID LOGAR
    7 months ago

Try adhesive shelf paper, it blocks off the Vic and the smell. Mine were from Home Depot. But I bought a chi a cabinet on Walnart.com and they have the same smell.