Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyll_gw

Shelf paper. Yes or No?

cathyll
17 years ago

I just removed (again)the shelf paper from all my cabinets and it occurred to me that since the shelves & drawers are all laminated and easy to clean, why do I even need shelf paper?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• bluejean
    17 years ago

I am curious too. We are getting ready to move- the new kitchen has relatively new cabinets/drawers. I have been cleaning a few cabinets every day after work (mostly just dust from sitting empty for 3 1/2 yrs) But I am curious if I should use shelf paper/drawer liners too. It looks like the shelves are laminated as well.

Thanks,
    bluejean in ohio

PS Sorry to piggyback the thread!

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

I hate shelf paper too but I would rather go to the trouble of lining the cupboard shelves every 6 months than go through the horrendous expense and hassle of replacing cabinetry. I think the quality of the laminate would influence my decision on using shelf paper: the vinyl covering on my shelves is easily torn and was stained when we moved here. To each her own.

• lindac
    17 years ago

When I married, my MIL came to "help line my cabinets with shelf paper"....after a few months, my mother came and told me to "get that stuff outta there"....and showed me the crumbs and even a few bugs hiding beneath.
    NOT lining with paper is a much cleaner way to go....and when you have part of the cupboard empty you can just wipe it out...no need to remove everything and replace the paper.
    Linda C

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I use to have paper liners in my drawers too but decided it was'nt sanitary. My drawers and shelves were all wood so i got DH to paint everything with an oil based enamil and just wash it.I think it looks better too. Just my opinion. Hope you don't mind me posting too.
    oakleif

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Shelf paper attracts bugs. Shelf paper traps crumbs. Shelf paper looks like crap in a couple of months. Shelf paper is expensive to keep replacing. And yes, the health department does not allow it in restaurant setting.

If you feel you really need to protect your laminate from Kool-Aid stains and such, how about trying plastic liner that is self sticking? I do not mean Contac with permanant adhesive. What I am suggesting is the plastic shelf liner that has a water activated backing that seals it to the shelves.

You just wet the shelf and put it down using a squeegee or a book to force the air pockets out of it. When it dries it holds firmly in place with no shifting. It is easily removable when you want it to be.

I have used the stuff and like it. I have shelves in my kitchen cabinets and linen closets that are varnished wood. There were lots of stains from the previous owners use, and the plastic liner covers this damage, giving it a "fresher" look. It also keeps further damage from happening. I can't see the point of covering nice plastic laminate shelves with either paper OR plastic liner, but to each their own.......

• cathyll
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, thank you, thank you, thank you, ladies! That was music to my ears. One more chore I can scratch off my fall cleaning list.

• wingnaprayer
    17 years ago

I put the plastic kind on my shelves and have for years. I guess I just don't trust the laminates they use. The previous owners already have stuff on the cabinets that have been hard to get out. Of course, I'm sure they never cleaned them regularly.

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I lined all my shelves and drawers with that grippy plastic stuff, mostly because I was worried that people would think I was a horrid human being if I left them bare. No paper, no contact goop, but sort of a rubbery, washable surface.

• atd_oc
    17 years ago

I line all my shelves to protect them and I don't like the clicking noise without them being lined. I learned about Cushy Cupboards on the Garden Web's Kitchen forum on this website and love it. It is easy to cut and wipes clean. It is not rubber so won't scruntch up when sliding items in place or removing the bottom skillet or pan in a stack.

• TACHE
    17 years ago

When we did our kitchen over I insisted on all of the shelves and that all of the drawer bottoms be finished with something hard. It's nothing to keep them clean. Just a swipe.

My MIL always used Oakleif's method. When you use a lot of stuf wipe the shelf where they were and move the other sruff over and wipe that space. You never have to do a major clean up until you find a five year old open jar of capers that never made it to the fridge.

• Denise Evans
    17 years ago

cathyll, thanks for starting this thread. This has been a source of trouble in our household. DH insists I line the kitchen cabinets with shelf paper and I say not if the cabinets have a washable surface. I do use the cushion type liners for my cabinets with glassware and dinner dishes, just to protect the edges. Now I feel vindicated.

• arizonarose
    17 years ago

i posted last week about my mess of contact paper...trying to do a good thing i messed up some of my kraft maid beautiful cabinets...NOOOOO on the shelf paper of any sort. i remember my moms cubbards were always painted inside when i was a kid...i guess she just washed them out..didn't use *shelf paper* now i know why they were painted...so much easier to just wash the cabinets then to line..remove liner..wash ..line again....

arizona

• wingnaprayer
    17 years ago

I use the plastic kind that would just lift out of the drawer to clean it or replace it. Many years ago, I used the sticky kind and actually damaged an apt. cabinet, but they didn't charge me for it thank God!

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I did I bought copper shelf paper more like foil type really nice.I got it from Lowes.Thick.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!