Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Posted by junkyardgirl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 21:55

Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot, and I've tried everything I know to get the burnt on crud off, but to no real avail. I've tried Greased Lightning, Dawn soak overnight, ammonia on newspaper in a plastic bag left for two days (one day in the sun), boiling with baking soda water, and simply keeping it on the stove so it would hopefully just burn off, but to no avail.

Is there anything else you can do? I just bought this pan, it's a T-fal, and I don't want to lose it.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Try covering it with baking soda and then sprinkling it with white vinegar. Let it sit for a bit and spray the vinegar on again to make it wet. If the smell of just vinegar is too strong for you, a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water also works well. Get out your scouring pad and turn on the elbow grease. It might take a few tries but this is how I clean the oven at my restaurant. It is sprayed with grease all day (from heating sandwiches) and I never use commercial cleaners.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

I've tried Dawn Power Dissolver on some things lately that I could never get off, including baked on "non-stick" spray that would never come off and the Power Dissolver took it off in short order.

Is it on the outside of the pan or the inside? I'm assuming the outside?


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Nope, inside. I'm going to try the Power Dissolver. It's on sale this week at my store.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Hate to chime in with bad news, but I heard last year on national news (then read more about it) that non stick pans should be discarded if overheated as they have caused condition docotr's called "Teflon Fever." With regret I sadly discarded my best one ever after learning about it.

Here's one link:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_23_163/ai_104439989

Suzi


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

I agree with Suzi, non stick pans are toxic when overheated and that's only to 500 degrees.

I am getting new pans called green pans today. Go to: http://www.buygreenpan.com There's a video on the site that explains a bit about them.

I'm also switching my bakeware to demarle. Aluminum has been linked to alzheimers and I'm getting rid of all my aluminum too.

Sorry about your pan but it's better that you get a new pan that's not calphalon or teflon. They have pre-seasoned cast iron pans at target now.

JoAnn


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

The baking soda suggestion is pure genius! I didn't have any vinegar so I just sprinkled baking soda on the burnt pan & used a slightly dampened sponge to scrub the area for a few minutes. I now have a brand new looking pan.

I agree with the other comments that a burned teflon pan should be discarded. Luckily my pan was a Thermalon GreenPan.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

I've ruined more Teflon frying pans than I can count. I had a wonderful All Clad frying pan that cost $120. Since they stand by their product, I returned one I burned to the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. Same thing happened again, but they wouldn't give me any more free replacements. I now hand wash my All Clad ware by hand and am very careful with heat and grease.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

I bght a Green pan several months ago & so far I only need to clean with sponge or damp paper towel. I have done the same thing, burning non-stick pans & eventually just had to discard. Try the Green pans. I think they're great.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Most of you actually know less than I do-and I came here looking for suggestions?
First of all most Non-stick cookware is not rated to 500 Deg/f. Only certain top lines are. Never use non-stick spray, Pam etc, on non Stick cookware.
AllClad brand is over priced junk. And posters who recommend this product are reps like Tupperware geeks.
When i first bought my Calphalon cookware 12 years ago, being a new bachelor I mistakenly took the advice of a clerk in Bed Bath and Dumbers, he sold me a jar of a gritty pumice like cleanser made by Calphalon -BUT it was for their stainless steel cookware. I put up such a fuss with BB&D that they replaced my ruined cookware.
It looks as if the varnish like staining on the outside will have be removed with a flame thrower or a grinding wheel, because no one here or myself has the answer? LOL


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

i have a green pan that has baked on grease.... tried the baking soda -- now i'm heating the vinegar & scrubbing... hmmm will keep at it! green pans are nice, but they also get stained after some use... best to wipe them out while they're still warm/hot.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

Altho I mentioned I had owned an All-Clad frying pan (or two) I am not a spammer, salesperson or geek. I'm not selling or recommending anything, I'm just telling my FIRST-HAND experience, here in THE REAl WORLD.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

I threw all my non-stick cookware away a long time ago. I use a set of waterless stainless steel (Enkor). Can only buy this brand on ebay now. But I also have several Allclad stainless pans and skillets which are great. The bonus is MADE IN AMERICA. The key is, less heat, and a small amount of olive oil (never bake/fry with EVOO) or other oil. And, if something sticks, like a crab cake or piece of chicken or eggplant, continue cooking at low heat. It will release when it is golden brown. I never worked for Allclad or anyone remotely related, so not a shill. But have been cooking, baking for 50 years. Somewhat off topic, but had to respond to hbogart44.


 o
RE: Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

oven cleaner works good and dawn has a soap you put in pan let it soak wow works great.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here