Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot, and I've tried everything I know to get the burnt on crud off, but to no real avail. I've tried Greased Lightning, Dawn soak overnight, ammonia on newspaper in a plastic bag left for two days (one day in the sun), boiling with baking soda water, and simply keeping it on the stove so it would hopefully just burn off, but to no avail.

Is there anything else you can do? I just bought this pan, it's a T-fal, and I don't want to lose it.

Comments (28)

• cynic
    16 years ago

I've tried Dawn Power Dissolver on some things lately that I could never get off, including baked on "non-stick" spray that would never come off and the Power Dissolver took it off in short order.

Is it on the outside of the pan or the inside? I'm assuming the outside?

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope, inside. I'm going to try the Power Dissolver. It's on sale this week at my store.

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

Hate to chime in with bad news, but I heard last year on national news (then read more about it) that non stick pans should be discarded if overheated as they have caused condition docotr's called "Teflon Fever." With regret I sadly discarded my best one ever after learning about it.

Here's one link:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_23_163/ai_104439989

Suzi

• jjkadaba69
    16 years ago

I agree with Suzi, non stick pans are toxic when overheated and that's only to 500 degrees.

I am getting new pans called green pans today. Go to: http://www.buygreenpan.com There's a video on the site that explains a bit about them.

I'm also switching my bakeware to demarle. Aluminum has been linked to alzheimers and I'm getting rid of all my aluminum too.

Sorry about your pan but it's better that you get a new pan that's not calphalon or teflon. They have pre-seasoned cast iron pans at target now.

JoAnn

• EichlerDream_aol_com
    12 years ago

The baking soda suggestion is pure genius! I didn't have any vinegar so I just sprinkled baking soda on the burnt pan & used a slightly dampened sponge to scrub the area for a few minutes. I now have a brand new looking pan.

I agree with the other comments that a burned teflon pan should be discarded. Luckily my pan was a Thermalon GreenPan.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I've ruined more Teflon frying pans than I can count. I had a wonderful All Clad frying pan that cost $120. Since they stand by their product, I returned one I burned to the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. Same thing happened again, but they wouldn't give me any more free replacements. I now hand wash my All Clad ware by hand and am very careful with heat and grease.

• maimie
    12 years ago

I bght a Green pan several months ago & so far I only need to clean with sponge or damp paper towel. I have done the same thing, burning non-stick pans & eventually just had to discard. Try the Green pans. I think they're great.

• hbogart44_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Most of you actually know less than I do-and I came here looking for suggestions?
    First of all most Non-stick cookware is not rated to 500 Deg/f. Only certain top lines are. Never use non-stick spray, Pam etc, on non Stick cookware.
    AllClad brand is over priced junk. And posters who recommend this product are reps like Tupperware geeks.
    When i first bought my Calphalon cookware 12 years ago, being a new bachelor I mistakenly took the advice of a clerk in Bed Bath and Dumbers, he sold me a jar of a gritty pumice like cleanser made by Calphalon -BUT it was for their stainless steel cookware. I put up such a fuss with BB&D that they replaced my ruined cookware.
    It looks as if the varnish like staining on the outside will have be removed with a flame thrower or a grinding wheel, because no one here or myself has the answer? LOL

• overholt77_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i have a green pan that has baked on grease.... tried the baking soda -- now i'm heating the vinegar & scrubbing... hmmm will keep at it! green pans are nice, but they also get stained after some use... best to wipe them out while they're still warm/hot.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Altho I mentioned I had owned an All-Clad frying pan (or two) I am not a spammer, salesperson or geek. I'm not selling or recommending anything, I'm just telling my FIRST-HAND experience, here in THE REAl WORLD.

• jrgman
    11 years ago

I threw all my non-stick cookware away a long time ago. I use a set of waterless stainless steel (Enkor). Can only buy this brand on ebay now. But I also have several Allclad stainless pans and skillets which are great. The bonus is MADE IN AMERICA. The key is, less heat, and a small amount of olive oil (never bake/fry with EVOO) or other oil. And, if something sticks, like a crab cake or piece of chicken or eggplant, continue cooking at low heat. It will release when it is golden brown. I never worked for Allclad or anyone remotely related, so not a shill. But have been cooking, baking for 50 years. Somewhat off topic, but had to respond to hbogart44.

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

oven cleaner works good and dawn has a soap you put in pan let it soak wow works great.

• sallyandra
    9 years ago

Well I tried the advice on my electric frypan, bolied vinager for 30 minutes then boiled bakiing soda for 15 minutes. Then I scrubbed with a plastic brush . IT WORKED! Thank-you

• view1ny NY 6-7
    8 years ago

T hanks so much, ebear. I use baking soda and vinegar and was able to clean my grill pan beautifully. your suggestion still works great even 8years after you originally posted it lol.

• Melody Mitchell
    8 years ago

I tried the baking soda/vinegar on my nonstick pan and it didn't work. We've tried simmering it with and without, soaking with cascade powder and... we've already replaced some of the cookware and our bakewear is glass and silicone. May have to trade this one out as well.

• bmkorengold
    8 years ago

I cooked/baked a non-stick (not teflon either) to the point where even a chisel couldn't clean it up. I tried the various methods: baking soda, vinegar, dish soap boiling the various mixtures for over 20 minutes. All I got was a little soot and dirty water. Then I took the heating of cooking oil (canola) technique with about 3/4 inches at the bottom for about 20 minutes under medium heat. With a wooden spoon and baking soda paste and only a little elbow grease the burnt food bottom cleaned up very well.

• Jill Reuter
    8 years ago

The baking soda and white vinegar mix worked like a charm within seconds for my problem, it was olive oil residue. Great tip.

• teallll
    7 years ago

bmkorengold - I haven't heard of the cooking oil technique, and can't find information on it. Do I understand correctly that you heat oil in the pan for about 20 minutes, then dumped it out and cleaned the pan with baking soda paste? TIA!

• cbaumannz
    7 years ago

Green Pan is the absolute worst pan to clean! "Just use hot soapy water and a sponge"... who are you kidding!!!

• daniel_p_szabo
    7 years ago

This company will recoat a non-stick pan for about $15. I had them do a very expensive Swiss Diamond fry pan and it's good as new:

http://opicoatings.com/

• lindac92
    7 years ago

I buy cheap non stick fry pans from places like World market and treat them as disposable. Pretty much all I use them for is eggs or occasionally fish. When one gets slightly worn, it's buh by....I keep an extra 8 inch new one hidden, just in case.

• kathleenthall
    7 years ago

If Ceramic (Greenpan) this youtube video shows how salt can remove brown bits, NOT GOOD FOR TEFLON https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hn7XbulY8

• Louise Wilkinson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

lindac92, that is possibly the worst attitude to have and it's unfortunately all too common. The planet is a mess enough as it is without disposing of cheap crap because you can't be bothered to invest in and take care of good quality products.

Can anybody tell me weather it's safe to use a cleaning product like Oven Sense on non-stick surfaces? I bought it to do my baking trays and then realised it might take off the coating. I really don't want to ruin my cookware.

• Warren Chang
    6 years ago

I just used a degreaser and brillo. Left a few scratches though. I should have tried oven cleaner first. So that's my suggestion... oven cleaner and soak.

• Linda Doherty
    6 years ago

Bar keepers friend.

• HU-859324792
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hob Brite or a similar cream cleaner for removing burned on grease from ceramic/glass hob plates worked for me.

• Steven Thomas
    3 years ago

Never, ever spend a lot of money on any non-stick pan. All non stick surfaces go bad after a while, not just Teflon. And reserve your non stick cookware for things that actually need it, like eggs and pancakes. Stainless steel is still your best friend for everything else, because it can always be cleaned with a little elbow grease.