Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musty Smell... How do I get rid of it???

Posted by plumbly22 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 20:39

I have a cloth/leather pocket book, cloth lining, that smells musty... I've tried febreze on it (4 heavy sprayings a day apart for each) and it doesn't seem to be any better yet? I did hang it outside the last 'nice' sunny day we had, but I live in New England so those days are going to be few and far between soon. I'm open to suggestions. I was wondering if putting it in my freezer for a few days would "kill" off the smell or whatever is causing it to smell... would that be totally crazy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musty Smell... How do I get rid of it???

It isn't crazy, but I don't think it will work. :)
It is possible the odor is in the leather and it just isn't going to come out.

If it were mine, I would use a leather cleaner that has some sort of scent to it. Then I would buy several bars of soap with a strong scent - Irish Spring or some nice lavender soap - and unwrap the bars of soap, put them in the bag and leave them there for a few days or a week. Or sachets sold in places like Yankee Candle company - that would give you a choice of scents. The idea is to overwhelm the current scent with a new scent.

o
RE: Musty Smell... How do I get rid of it???

Try filling it with baking soda. If you have a warm dry spot in your home, leave it there for several days. I'd put it near my gas furnace. I use my burner room for drying herbs and flowers. It's about 80 degrees and very low hunidity. But the dryness may effect the leather. Try this at your own risk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here