Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning lint from microfiber cloths

Posted by peoniesandposies (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 20:24

I'm always picking off threads from my microfiber cloths after I take them out of the washer. I normally hang them to dry over a plastic hanger. I'm sure there must be a lot of lint stuck in them too. How do you clean the cloths, or does it really matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning lint from microfiber cloths

I don't get lint on mine, because don't wash them in the washer. I just soak them in a basin of soap and water for a while, then give them a rinse and hang them up.

If you do them in the washer don't wash them with towels or stuff that is linty.

o

I wash my microfiber cloths separately from other items. I have about 30 of them, and I collect the dirty ones in a bucket until I have enough for a small load. Still, I get sawdust and lint on them occasionally and then have to hand pick that stuff off.

o

I believe microfiber was invented to pick up lint and dust therefore, lint will never really wash out of them since it's made to pick it up. The fibers are sticky to naturally attract the stuff and hold the stuff (hold being the operative word).

Microfiber, for me, is a love/hate relationship. I wash all my microfibers together, using the permanent press cycle, I have a front load, and permanent press uses more water to swish everything around.I use no bleach and no softener, then I do dry in the dryer. My theory is that it will "recharge" the static in the microfiber, true or not, the cloths do like to zap me when I take them out.

I'm also always picking off lint,sawdust, and other little nasties from the micros as I fold them. I don't think there's any way around it unless you decide to only clean things that are clean LOL!

o

Maybe you don't need to worry too much about removing the lint. After all, you've cleaned it and if it's sticking to the cloths it won't be redeposited on what you are cleaning.

I do wash my microfibers alone never with other clothes. I keep a large zip lock bag with my cleaning supplies and put the used ones in that until I have enough of them for a small load.

o

I wash mine separately in the washer and dry them in the dryer. If needed, I pick off by hand some lint afterward. Sawdust is the worst: I learned never to use them for house construction projects. I also buy only the relatively inexpensive cloths from a place like Target or Walmart (in automotive; they come in stacks of 6 or 8) and don't feel too bad when one needs to get tossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here