Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Smell from my Bissell Steam Mop

monicakm_gw
14 years ago

I've had and loved my Bissell steam mop for 5 years. Never a problem. The last two times I've used it, it's produced a really horrible odor. A wet dog/dirty sock smell. I've tracked it down to coming from the mop head it's self. Not the water bottle and not the mop pad. You're not supposed to use any type of cleaning product in the water bottle but in an effort ot eliminate the over powering odor, I added some vinegar to the water. It helped but got stronger and stronger each time I refilled the water bottle (without vinegar). Has this happened to anyone else and were you able to fix the issue?

Thanks,

Monica

Comments (15)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Maybe you need to change your mop head or remove the mop head and soak it in baking soda

• clt3
    14 years ago

Have you tried replacing the filter?

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The next time you use it sprinkle some bakig soda on the floor and run the cleaner over it. That should get into the mop head and may get rid of the smell

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oilpainter, just to be sure we're talking about the same "part", when I say "mop head", I'm referring to the plastic housing where the steam comes from. Sounds like maybe you're talking about the mop "pad"...the microfiber pad that comes off and goes in the washer. I don't see how running over baking soda could eliminate an odor coming from within the mop head.
    Monica

• kimberlyryan32_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i love this vac and steam for my hardwood floors but i do to have this smell and to me it smells like piss i have tried everything to get the smell out is there anything that i can do

• trdyals_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I got mine for this past Christmas and have only used it a few times because it smells terriable! Would a brand new one need a new cartridge to get rid of the smell?
    thanks

• ayshajnk
    7 years ago

I own a vac and steam - and I get an awful garbage/rotten fish smell everytime I steam ... Not the clean smell I'm after so although I love the usability I may return as this is the second time I've changed filter

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm the OP and I'm no longer having the stinky smell from my beloved Bissell steam mop. Haven't had the problem in years. I didn't do anything different. It just fixed it's self :) Can't imagine what it was and how/why it stopped. I just know it was coming from inside the machine. It wasn't the water bottle or the mop pad.

• Stacey Stephens
    5 years ago

Apparently it's not the mop itself it's the pads.

• Mischa Vlăsceanu
    3 years ago

Did anyone found a solution ? We have this mop since November and since 1 month ago it started to smell like rotten fish. We tried everything, we changed the pads,we cleaned with vinegar, nothing works!

• marian999m
    2 years ago

So do I have same problem with bad smell. I changed the pads, also the filter, cleaned every time water tank. After changing filter, couple of times was good, but now bad smell comes back again. Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks!

• donnasophia
    2 years ago

It's December 3, 2021, I've used my Bissell steam mop 1867, for several years, just in the kitchen, and it just started to smell like sewer, when a goose neck has gone dry. I'm overdosing the house with Lysol, turned on the attic fan trying to suck out the stink. And it's darn cold outside. It's hard to get rid of the nastiness. I bought a new pad and filter, and I use clean water. Maybe I'll take it outside and run a lot of water through it to see if that works. I've invested a lot this week in pads and filter. People have been posting about this for years, and there is no solution.

• marian999m
    2 years ago

I found a solution I think one week ago. I just filled up the tank filtered water (distiled) and keep running continuously until the water has finished. After this operation the smell has gone.

Have wonderful holidays!

• donnasophia
    2 years ago

I'm beginning to wonder if the new filter is the problem. Took apart the bottom section (it didn't stink at all), cleaned everything, used a wire to check for clogs, tried to run vinegar water through it. When I turned it on (outside, not taking any chances with stinky) just a little water came out and it still stunk to high heaven.