Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussie49er

Cleaning newly laid tiles

aussie49er
9 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove thin set residue/spots from newly laid tiles?
I have tried soap and water, vinegar and water, hard water spot remover, and 000 steel wool.
I can still see the spots etc. faintly on the floor tiles.

Comments (5)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

They use acid to remove thinset. You might start by applying the vinegar full strength - and generously - and giving it a few minutes to work on the spot before wiping off.

If that doesn't work, you may have to go to a stronger acid solution. Do you have the packaging for the thinset? That would point you to what to use for cleanup.

• emma
    9 years ago

When we bought this home I had water spots on my formica counter top and I could not get the water spots off. I knew formica did not stain, so was confused about this until someone told me to put dishwasher liquid on it and spread it around with my hand, then spray it with vinegar and let it set for 5 minutes. It removed the water spots and I don't have them any more. I assumed there was a film of some kind the manufacturer left on it. I prefer Formica and have used it on every home I have had.

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

I have used a dremel tool with either a steel wool or fine sandpaper attachment to remove those spots, but try it on a part of the tile that won't be visible to make sure it doesn't damage the tile. I also keep the tile wet to reduce friction. I'm assuming it is a low-gloss or no-gloss type tile since it won't wash off easily. I've used it on an Italian porcelain tile designed to look like natural rock, which means it has no gloss to it, with excellent results. Good luck.

• Rajesh13
    9 years ago

You can use home made cleaner for that and I think its safe for use. Take half cup of baking soda, white vinegar. Combine all in bottle and shake to mix. put it into spray bottle.. and simply spray it on and wipe gently with cloth..

• Ednamaee
    9 years ago

acids aren't good for and can create efflorescence on grout. so be careful. There is something called grout haze that is sometimes left after grouting because it wasn't cleaned well enough. Thinset isn't usually left behind, but could be. If your tile has a matte finish it doesn't have as slick a surface so haze is more likely. Tile is very durable unless it is stone, but the grout not so much. I would consider wetting a paper towel the size of the tile in vinegar and letting it soak on the tile but not on the grout. HD has a more powerful acid in the tile section..salictic?...in a plastic tub, crystals to mix with water.
    You may want to seal your grout to help protect it from the acid. you also may try a magic eraser...with vinegar maybe. it is melamine foam that acts as a very fine sandpaper...shouldn't damage the tile and haze is fine particles.