Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you clean ashes from burning wood in a fireplace?

Posted by rwhirley (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 18:13

I used my fireplace today because it is really cold here in the DFW area. I am wondering after the log burns, how do you clean up the ashes in the fireplace that fell to the bottom? I don't think I want to use my vacuum for this. I'm surprised there hasn't been an invention yet for some kind of liner to put under the log to catch the ashes then you dispose of. Kind of like an oven liner for splatter...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you clean ashes from burning wood in a fireplace?

Just scoop up with a dust pan. Typical fireplace tool sets include a shovel-type tool and a broom. I don't think that anyone who uses a fireplace more than once a year cleans it out every time they have a fire.

o

I used a dust pan and brush, then put them in a plastic bag. I cleaned the ashes out a day or two after we used the fire place, but we didn't have to use it for heat. I have always worried a little about fires.

o

Small dust pan and fireplace broom or a brush work best. DO NOT use a vacuum. I made the mistake of trying our shopvac once as the broom didn't get it as clean as I wanted. Ashes went right through the filter system and flew all over the room. Quite the mess.

o

There are vacuums you can buy for ashes. Be careful using a dustpan.

I almost set my house on fire years ago after cleaning up what I thought were cold ashes the morning after we had a fire in the fireplace. I used a dustpan to transfer the ashes to a paper grocery bag. I placed the bag in the garage next to the lawn mower. It turns out there were embers in the bag, and the heat slightly melted the lawn mower tire. Luckily I smelled the burning rubber.

I don't like the smell left behind by a fireplace, so I'm the type that would not want to leave the ashes there after the occasional fire.

Here is a link that might be useful: vacuum for ashes

o

When we had a wood burning fireplace (mine is now gas), I used the above mentioned dustpan and brush on cold ashes. I did not clean it every time it was used, I had glass doors to close and didn't notice a stale smokey odor ever.

Do not use your vacuum cleaner. DH was going to surprise me by cleaning the fireplace while I was at work one day and vacuumed out the hearth. The weight of the ashes burst the vacuum bag and put a layer of burned wood dust on everything.

If you must, use a shop vac with a disposable filter bag in any corners or depressions only after you've removed as much manually as possible, like at about 98% clean. I made it a seasonal chore, not something done weekly, certainly not after each use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here