Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing stickers on new windows

Posted by afterthought62 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 18:07

What is the best method for removing stickers on new windows? In our last house, DH used razor blades and scratched the glass - I'd like to avoid that this time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing stickers on new windows

i peel off as much as i can by hand, and then whatever is left i give it a heavy shot of laundry spray, such as spray and wash. let i soak in for 15 minutes or so, and the rest of the sticker will come right off!

works every time.

trin

o

We just got new windows and the stickers peel off completely if you grab a corner and pull slowly.

o

Dab mayonnaise on the stickers and let "soak in" for 5 minutes. It should come off easily with a paper towel.

o

If you can peel off top of the sticker leaving the paper part stuck to the window, you can apply Goo Gone, let it soak a bit, and it should come right off.

o

use a razor blade, works like a charm

o

Steam from a kettle to loosen glue. then (carefully) wipe/peel off.

o

Butane!! The kind you buy to refill a lighter with. I was in a Hallmark gift shop years ago and cringed as I watched the clerk apply butane to a Belleek porcelain piece I had just purchased as a gift. She was taking the price sticker off. I couldn't believe she was doing that, but it worked in seconds and did no harm to the porcelain. She told me they use it on everything in the shop (and they had some expensive items in there). So I bought some. Have used it on everthing from glass to ceramic, porcelain, silver, pewter, plastic. No harm done to any surfaces, no scratches from fingernails or razors, and glue residue wipes right off. On a hard surface, I remove as much of sticker as possible. On suraces like plastic, I just let the butane dissolve sticker and all, so there's no fingernail marks on the plastic. And I use it on a paper towel so I can throw it out. Don't want butane on a rag going through the washing machine ;)

o

A hair dryer if the sticker is new - won't work on old ones. The heat seems to reactivate the glue and the sticker peels right off.

o

I also use lighter fluid to remove lables and that horrible sticky glue from things. Acetone works well too, but it may damage some plastics. I know it disolves lucite and perspex.

o

WD-40 works great! This also works on jewelry or any other metal or glass surface. It will not harm most plastics if you quickly remove the residue with Windex & paper towels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here