Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myclementine

What is your favorite kitchen disinfecting spray?

myclementine
15 years ago

I am about out of Lysol kitchen and was curious what you all use, if anything.

I like to spay everything down after I have raw meat in the sink.

Comments (14)

• stolenidentity
    15 years ago

No spray, I use Clorox wipes on everything except the glass top stove.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Regular dishwashing detergent, like Dawn or Palmolive, or the store brand in your area, works just fine for disinfecting. Any soap or detergent will kill germs.

Bleach also works, so I can't really complain about the Clorox wipes, but they are a disposable and expensive product. A bit of dishwashing liquid on a sponge or dishcloth will do the same job. Bacteria can't fight soap, and can't develop a resistance to it either.

• stolenidentity
    15 years ago

I like your style mary c! I'm a big fan of regular ole dishwashing soap and usually end my cleaning by wiping everything down with sink load of it. I'd still recommend the clorox wipes though, for meat!

• bspofford
    15 years ago

A spray bottle with a mild bleach/water solution, use a paper towel, wipe it down, toss.

Barbara

• jannie
    15 years ago

My favorite kitchen cleaner is a spray called "Cinch". It works better than Fantastic or Formula 409, cuts grease, cleans glass, can be used on anything but wood. Has a great smell. Only one store near me carries it. If they ever stop, I'll cry. I even use it on the tile in my bathroom.

• myclementine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How long will bleach water stay effective in a bottle?

• justjustin
    15 years ago

A 1:10 Solution of Water and Lemon Scent PineSol in a spray bottle for big jobs, spills and caked on messes. Scrubbed with a microfiber cloth.

Everyday "wiping up", the maid uses a Clorox Wipe, or ten or tweleve. Anyway, she goes over all the counters in the house (bathrooms included) with the Clorox Wipes. I favor the smell of the Lemon or Citrus (Orange or Yellow Cans).

Justin

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

There are several sites on the internet that tout the effectiveness of vinegar as a cleaner. I don't have bleach or any toxic cleaners in my house and we don't get sick any more than anyone else. I use a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar with a few drops of tea tree oil as a general cleaner. It works great and is practically free (a gallon of vinegar at Costco is about $2.00!). Not only do I save money but I notice the difference when I go to someone else's home. I even had to leave my friend's house when her dishwasher was running. The smell of chlorine from the detergent was so strong it was making me sick.

• krissie55
    15 years ago

I use 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Do you mean one of those aerosol sprays you spray into the air and onto stuff? ..Like Lysol?
    Would never use that stuff!
    If you really want to kill all germs, use a 10% Clorox solution ( 1 part clorox to 10 parts water)...but unless you are spreading raw chicken blood around or having a commercial kitchen...soap and water is just fine...but discard the wiping cloth...
    or soak it in a 10% bleach solution!
    Linda C

• cj47
    15 years ago

Awhile back I bought a Lotus Sanitizer. I "charge" a bottle of water and use that with a microfiber cloth for sanitizing everything connected with raw meat. It's also great for sanitizing veggies and fruits.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I wasn't even sure they made Cinch anymore Jannie! I always liked that cleaner. One of the few multi-purpose cleaners that did a GOOD job on glass and mirrors. I guess it's a retro brand now owned by the same company that bought Spic-N-Span.

I like using bleach, multi-purpose cleaners and if I get them free or super cheap, the wipes. And sometimes I'll dip a dishcloth or paper towel in clean soapy dishwater and wipe things down. And I like to have a can of Lysol around. I now have a can of Oust Surface and Air but I'm hearing that it's not as good as Lysol. But who knows. Could just be advertisement.

I read about sanitizing with a spray bottle of vinegar and a spray bottle of peroxide. They specified a certain order but I don't recall which.

• jenica
    15 years ago

I try to limit the chemicals in my house too. I clean almost exclusively with vinegar and dish soap. I usually just wipe down the counters with a soapy dishrag but if I get blood or raw meat on the counter I wipe it up and then spray the spot with peroxide and let it sit some. I also spray my cutting boards with it after cutting raw meat. It bubbles up so you know it works. It also keeps the boards from getting blood stained.

Cynic, there's no particular order to the spraying of the vinegar and peroxide, you're just suppose to not pre-mix them. If you keep them in two separate spray bottles and spray the counters with them and let it sit before wiping, it's suppose to kill 99% if germs.

• myclementine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After all your glowing recs for Cinch I found that Amazon.com had some so I ordered it. That stuff is the bomb!!! It gets my mirrors spotless! And the tile around my tub always has smears on it no matter what I do. No more smears and smudges!!!
    I am tempted to buy a case before I can't get it there either. Thanks for the recommendation. It is wonderful.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!