Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to dust my blinds?

Posted by rwhirley (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 17:44

I embarrassed to admit this but I have lived in my home for 2 years and could probably count on one hand how many times I dust my blinds. I have curtains so I never think to dust them. Well of course I am getting ready for Thanksgiving (cleaning like crazy for company that has been here 100 times already) and decided to take my bedroom curtains down and throw them in the wash. While they are in there, I thought what better time to dust the blinds since I have no curtains in the way. I have a feather duster but I feel like the dust is just sitting on it in a separate place in my home. Will the brush attachment on my vacuum work well? I don't want to do this by hand. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to dust my blinds?

You didn't say what kind of blinds. I used to have the 1 inch slats and and I closed then and used a feather duster, then opened the the other way dusted again. I did try taking them down after a few years and sloshing them around in a tub full of soapy water. It was almost easier to replace them. They were a nuisance.

o

If you have the 2" blinds, the best way to clean them is individually with a microfiber cloth. With the 1" slats, close them as Emma recommended, but wipe them down with the microfiber cloth. For me that's the best way to get rid of most of the dust (especially if it's been a while since you dusted). If they're aluminum, rinse the microfiber cloth in warm water with a little Dawn, & wring out excess & wipe the blinds.

o

Thank you. Yes they are the 2 inch fake wood blinds

o

I searched and found this quoted on a blinds site for cleaning. I always used the damp sponge method.

For light cleaning of your faux wood blinds use a static charged duster or lightly vacuum with an upholstery attachment. If something spills on your blinds you can also use a sponge with a mild detergent and warm water solution, then blot dry. Take special care not to push any dust into the cords running through the blind itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: The cleaning guide I found

o

I clean my blinds once a year with a damp cloth, and once a month with a goats hair blind duster. (A3002) This one works really well and I found it online at this really cool store.
nessentials.com
I'm thinking of getting a larger one (A3016) with more hair, too, for my collectibles and lamp shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: nessentials.com

o

Is it the ones with slats?I putwaterin tub soapy water then use shower to rinse.That worked good just lay them in the soapy water a few minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here