Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

How to clean plastic 'window' on appliances?

buyorsell888
15 years ago

I have clear plastic on my microwave door and over the keypad on the microwave and dishwasher. They are dirty and dish soap and water isn't doing the trick. I'm not sure if Windex is safe on plastic.

I use a Magic Eraser on the white "bodies" of the appliances but the nasty plastic is starting to be a problem.

Comments (11)

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

I just wipe mine down with a soapy dish cloth and dry it with a clean towel afterwards. I don't use windex but have used Glass Plus on almost everything and it hasn't hurt anything yet. Be careful with the Magic Eraser tho...I used one on a laminate counter top and it left a dull spot that never went away. Once you get your microwave & dishwasher clean it will be easy to keep that way if you just go over it with a cloth like you do your counters and stove.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I use a spray cleaner called "Cinch" made by the same company as Spic 'n' Span. It's a great cleaner, cuts grease, gets everything clean, and is fairly gentle, not like strong chemicals. You can use it on glass and windows,too.

• cloudcrasher
    15 years ago

Automotive cleaner wax is a great way to clean and polish clear plastic. It will remove fine scratch marks, and shine the plastic like new. It contains a mild abrasive that cuts thru grime and smooths out the plastic. If you want to use something that you already have in your home, you can use...............................TOOTHPASTE......also a mild abrasive, and works ALMOST as well.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

There are several automotive products that have handy applications around the household. I use a one step cleaner/wax on appliance surfaces, tile walls in the shower, chrome fixtures etc. I would recommend using small amounts and practicing on inconspicuous surfaces.

"Automotive" may sound dirty, outside, mechanical at first but pause and think about it. Car lovers use these thing to clean inside and outside of their $75,000 Corvettes. These people want no mistakes.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I have cleaned the keypad with a dab of alcohol on a cotton ball.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have tried Dawn concentrated and hot water but it smeared the grease around and didn't clean it.

I've been cautious because my stepmother scratched all of my stereo components "windows" once cleaning them and I haven't wanted to scratch up my appliances. I suppose scratches are better than grease....

We have a microwave hood combination and it is not vented outside and there is grease all over the kitchen.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Use a degreaser. I like Fireball. I've heard good things about Greased Lightening.

• bernard brown
    3 years ago

Pinesol is what caused my problem on the microwave door in the first place!

• T
    3 years ago

Follow GoCleanCo on Instagram!! Tons of cleaning tips!

• jawarrior25
    3 years ago

I just used Turtle wax. I had stupidly used glass stove top cleaning paste to try to remove a permanent smudge that would not come off with any cleaner. The soft plastic microwave touch pad had awful swirling scratches from doing that!

The Turtle wax car polish didn't remove it all, but after two cleanings and buffing with a soft cotton cloth the swirls were greatly reduced, and much less obvious than the original smudge!! If I had used the Turtle wax right from the start, I think the smudge might have been almost totally removed. I hope this helps someone.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz