Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought a new vacuum today.

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 17:30

DH and I went to Sears again today and looked at the Intuition Canister and the Progressive Upright with direct drive. I decided to give the upright a try and got the one with the bag as I really think the Hepa Bag is a good idea to filter out the fine dust. I know the bagless ones have the filter but the bag one actually has the extra with the bag. Plus I don't think I really want to have to empty the thing each time I use it.

Anyway, spent the afternoon cleaning the house and vacuumed everything with it. I do like the flexible hose - it is easy to use, stretches a long ways and DOES NOT tip the vacuum over when you are using it. The wands are long too but I would like one that is harder, less flex to it. But it worked well and wasn't hard to change pieces.

On the carpet, I was surprised the vacuum was a little more difficult to push than when I tried it at the store. I know my carpet is thicker than what the store had for us to try it out on. The direct drive is supposed to make it easier. Maybe I need to raise the height to the highest setting. Will try next time.I don't think the lights to show when you need to vacuum more is really that great - showed my carpet wasn't dirty in areas I hadn't run over yet. But then in areas I am sure there isn't as much dirt as in the traffic areas.

When I finished, I checked the bag . There seemed to be alot of weight at the bottom as though alot of sand/dirt had been picked up. So will give it another try this weekend. I told the gal who helped us that if I didn't like it, I would be bringing it back and will then probably get the canister.

Don't think I want to try other brands. Its either the one I have or the canister.

Anyone else have the Progressive Upright, with bag and direct drive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought a new vacuum today.

What is the warranty on the Progressive Upright? What does sears charge to look at the machine if it breaks? Thanks.

o
RE: Bought a new vacuum today.

There is just a one year warranty. We don't bother with extended warranties. Guess we have always been fortunate that either problems present themselves early on or things last a reasonable amount of time. We just replaced our dishwasher that was 13 years old, washer and drier are over 10 years old now. Our previous vacuum was about 12 years old and it was a Kenmore.

Don't know what it would cost to have someone look at it.

I used it again this weekend. I raised the height to the highest setting and it was easier to push plus I noticed that the intel light telling that area was still dirty stayed on more in areas of my very worn carpet. I think it needed to be higher to lift out the dirt. By the way, the vac was advertised for $20.00 less on Black Friday. We took the receipt back and got the money refunded, no problem getting it done.

I think I will be happy with my choice. Am looking forward to getting new carpet after my hubby replumbs our house in Feb. Yeah, he's doing it himself - I may need a wet/dry vacuum nest! HA!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here