Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smelly Cedar Closet needs help

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 16:13

Eight years ago we bought a house that has a walk-in cedar closet. At first we thought it was wonderful but a couple years later I noticed a sickening odor on top of the cedar scent. My husband just sanded the walls and ceiling (per instructions he found at wikihow.com) and ugh...I can still smell that peculiar odor (sorta like a clothes hamper odor). All we're storing in the cedar closet are wool clothes and coats. Is there something we need to do/buy/try to bring back just that cedar scent and get rid of that stale odor? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smelly Cedar Closet needs help

What type of flooring does the closet have? Your problem may not be with the cedar, but with whatever is on the floor. Usually sanding cedar every few years renews the "cedar" scent.
Also, has your house ever been flooded? There may be something behind the cedar, like mold, that is causing the smell.

o
RE: Smelly Cedar Closet needs help

We have carpet in the closet and yes we had some flooding in the basement 7 years ago but not near this side of the house (and all carpet was replaced and the basement was treated by Servpro). I just opened the door (first time in 4 days) and it smells so much better...like cedar! Maybe it just needed a few days? I'm hoping that other stale-old-hamper-clothes-odor won't return. Thanks for your response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here