Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting home ready for the holidays?

Posted by scottygirl23 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 15:35

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the amount of cleaning necessary to get your house ready for the holidays? (especially if you have visitors!) I can barely keep track of all the things that need to be done, and definitely can't find time for all of them! I found this article from Scott Common Sense helpful -- it has a good preliminary checklist for holiday cleaning. I'd like to hear from you guys though - what things are you doing to get your home holiday-ready?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting home ready for the holidays?

I think it depends on what you're planning. Is it a dinner for 6 or 20; a buffet for the neighborhood; a house-warming drop in thing or overnight guests with all the food and entertaining for several days. Clean and decorate those rooms that will be used; don't worry about the other rooms. Decorate to make yourself and family happy; don't worry about others' reactions. Keep your economical situation in focus. It's about warmth and bringing together family and friends without pretension and celebrating the holiday appropriately.
Some years I don't bother with a tree (inside). We often have a nature inspired tree on the front porch. It doesn't take up space inside; it's fun for everyone outside; and the dog isn't dumping it over. I have a display tree stand that I use to show family ornaments. Festive ribbons around your usual decorations or added to your kitchen cabinet tops or fireplace area sometimes adds a very uplifting feel to your everyday decor without extra expense. Rechargeable or battery lights are easy to decorate with and don't add the extra burden of candles or electric connections.
This year, we're keeping it simple with our usual candles in the windows; battery lit wreaths outside, etc. Good food; good friends and more charity donations.

o
RE: getting home ready for the holidays?

Scottygirl23 - welcome to Gardenweb. It's not a good idea to post a link to your employer's website on your first post here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here