Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just used this wall cleaner and it is...

Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 04 at 14:51

fantastick! I think I picked this up off of this forum a long time ago, I just got around to using it. Thank you to whoever posted this.

No-Rinse Wall Cleaner

1 cup ammonia
1/2 cup vinegar
1 gallon hot water
1/4 cup baking soda

Mix together and wash your walls. No rinsing is required.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just used this wall cleaner and it is...

I use something similar to clean windows, omitting the soda and using warm water.

I am going to try this wall cleaner solution, too. Sounds good!

o

Would this work cleaning the floor? I'm looking for something a little more powerful than plain vinegar and less commercial than Mr.Clean. Don't want to have to rinse, either.

o

I don't think I would use this on a wood floor. The less water or fluid the better for wood. I would also consult your manufactures warrenty on any other kind of floor. I may try it in an area that is hidden first, then see if it damages your floor. IMO a no rinse cleaner that you can prepare yourself is better than anything store bought.

o

I use this recipe for cleaning almost everything!! It works better than anything on the market today.

Now watch somebody come along and say it's dangerous to mix ammonia and vinegar. They always do. I have used this formula for years and it hasn't exploded yet. The smell is a LOT less strong than some of the other cleaners.

A couple of things I would add: I cut mine down to a quart so that I have clean water to work with more often. It works so well, a quart will do a big job. And don't try to store any left over mixture.

This cleaner cost only pennies to make.

o

It's only bleach and ammonia that shouldn't be mixed together...we're ok with the ammonia and vinegar.

o

There is a major discussion at the Laundry Room forum about a product called Charlie's Soap (now on Part 5, linked below). They have an all purpose cleaner that seems to be very popular and one poster has reported miracles using it on her floor.

www.Charliesoap.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry forum discussion on Charlies Soap

o

river--thanx a MILLION! i had no idea something so totally simple could work so well! it is cleaning areas that i didn't even know were dirty but more importantly, the wall section that i tried this out on just a little bit ago, feels very clean and smooth--no residue at all! THANX!

o

Hi this sounds amazing but where can i by ammonia? i looked in my local sainsburys with no luck. and also can i use it on walls where i have just treated with bleach?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here