Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dingy white shirt

Posted by arizonarose (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 13:30

My favorite white shirt is cotton/nylon/spandex. It doesn't seem as white as it used to be...what do you suggest to brighten it up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dingy white shirt

I would soak it in Oxyclean and hot water (or at least warm water) according to the directions on the Oxyclean container.

o

I'll have to get some of that & give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if laying it in the sun would help too...I'll post back & let you know if the oxyclean works.

o

Nylon's and some other synthetics are naturally sort of gray. What makes them white is dye....white dye.
Bleach will remove this dye....what you need to do is get a laundry detergent that has "whiteners" in it and soak your shirt in a very strong solution of that detergent for about 12 to 20 hours.
rinse and dry.

o

I am so pleased! The Oxyclean worked. Three scoops in a sink of warm water for about an hour and my shirt looks like new again. That is some good stuff! Graywings, thank you :)

Lindac thanks also for your suggestion. I knew not to use bleach, but didn't think about the Detergent w/whiteners.

Anyway...problem solved and I'm so pleased...just Love that white shirt!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here