Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
addictedtoroses

Vinegar as dishwasher detergent?

addictedtoroses
15 years ago

I've been using a combination of dishwasher detergent and Jetdry in my dishwasher, but no matter what kind I use, I always get white spots and residue/deposits on my dishes. We have very hard water. I had heard of using vinegar once a month in an empty dishwasher to ward off calcium buildup, so about a week ago when I ran out of dishwasher detergent and couldn't get to the store for a few days, I used vinegar (1/2 cup at the beginning of the wash cycle). I tell you, those three days that I used the vinegar, my dishes were the cleanest I've ever seen them come out of the dishwasher. I bought the detergent anyway (it's what I'm using now, but I'm not happy about it) because I was afraid that daily or every other day use of the vinegar might hurt the dishwasher somehow. I'd really rather give up on the detergent completely, sooooo, do y'all think it would be safe to use vinegar as a detergent in my dishwasher every time it is used??? Is there anybody else who does this?

Comments (14)

• jannie
    15 years ago

Vinegar contains acetic acid, which is pretty mild. I've heard of using vinegar in the dishwasher rinse aid but not for washing dishes. One thing I have done was I used DipIt coffee pot cleaner instead of dishwasher detergent. I used it because my DW was leaving food residue on my dishes and glasses. I ran it once empty with DipIt in the dispenser, then I did three DW loads in a row with dishes in the DipIt. It cleaned the dishes and the DW. Anyone else?

• tomatozilla
    15 years ago

This is an interesting discussion. I've had my machine a little over five years and its performance has been slipping bad over the last year. The service contract apes came out twice giving varying stories to avoid dealing with it (do not depend on service contracts with Whirlpool/KitchenAid, for major appliances). It temporarily improves after several runs of vinegar or dumping a whole bottle of Jet Dry in or somewhat if I use a bunch of glass majic dishwasher cleaner powder I think it was, but all those things are incredibly temporary. I also gingerly tried a finish wash with stupid& temporary's "lime gone" product which did not cause a suds overflow, but I can't tell you how much I used. This week I decided to try Electrasol powder instead of Cascade even though Cascade has been rated highest forever - the iffy performance has plummeted to lousy. Because it really did great for several years on pots and pans and everything, I think the machine is good and am considering swapping out the drain hose and really going through cleaning everything in it I can. It used to be a pleasant surprise to unload the beautifully clean dishes from the tightly packed dishwasher, now it's really quite depressing to find the loosely packed dishwasher revealing lots of food crust that needs rewashing. Maybe the appliance forum is better for this.

• cearab
    15 years ago

About 2 years ago CR did their report on the best dishwasher detergents. Their highest recommendation was Electrasol Dual Action Tabs. I tried them and my problems with dirty dishes stopped. Glasses came out clean and sparkling as well. They have changed the formula a bit and it is still a Dual Action Tablet, but there is a small red ball in the tablet for extra cleaning (I'm sure that's a gimmick,frankly!). Previously I had used Cascade powder or liquid and I would not switch back.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Had this conversation with my repairman yesterday. We have very hard water. He said the liquid form of electric dish washer detergent is bad. Has even more chemicals in it than the powder. He recommends the tablets. I had used liquid for the past year. He also said to be sure to avoid using ANY hand washing dish soap in preparing the dishes for the dishwasher as even one drop will deactivate some chemical in the dishwasher detergent. Do not put the sponge in the dishwasher for the same reason. Open the machine and pour in a cup of white vinegar during the rinse cycle every now and then. And he said to be sure to use the rinse agents they sell like JenDry. So I will be tryiing all of the above. My dishwasher has developed a white haze that now is on the silverware and glassware. I am sure it is on the dishes too, but they are white.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Oops, JetDri

• Melissa Lamprey
    7 years ago

I have really hard water and get debris in it.Little silver looking pieces.We have an artesian well but not a deep one.My dishwasher is a portable one.My issue is everytime I wash dishes.My pots and pans still have soap left in them.They don't look like it when they come out.But they have that sticky feeling and that is all my dishes.I have turned my temperature up on the furnace thinking that the water wasn't hot enough.There is decent pressure for the machine.But when I go to boil in the pots to make pastas or potatoes or cook in pans I get complete soap it sticks to the sides of the pans.It's horrible I throw out more food than serve it for meals.I don't want to cook anymore because of it.I am so lost can't figure out how to get it out of my dishes and stop my machine from doing that.Please help if someone knows what I am going through.

• Melissa Lamprey
    7 years ago

If it's still in my pots and pans then it's in my cups and silverware and plates.I know when I heat up water in a mug for coffee or tea I get soap.I can't deal with this anymore.Cooking and baking is my passion in life I need clean dishes.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

What dishwasher detergent are you using? Finish is prone to causing this.

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

I think that's it more interesting that this thread was posted in 2008, long before the Ban on Phosphates in Dishwasher Detergent. I wonder what the heck OP was using.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Ohh, Mich I didn't even notice the date..WOW, ya your right and I too wonder what detergent was used. Odd for that era.

• lauraalarid2002
    7 years ago

Lemi-Shine along with the usual detergent really helps in my super hard water area. You can find Lemi-shine in the grocery by the dishwasher detergents.

• Emily Duncan
    7 years ago

Would anyone be interested in a sample of Norwex's Super Jet Dishwasher Powder? I would be more than happy to send them! It's Biodegradable, non-toxic, Fragrance Free, Phosphate Free, Chlorine Free, safe for septic systems, no animal testing and the container is recyclable!

• Tawnya Oxendahl
    6 years ago

I would LOVE a sample!