Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Cat Urine in Carpet

kwie2011
9 years ago

What is the best product and method for removing cat urine ODOR from nylon pile carpet?

I need firsthand, fool-proof methods because I'm anosmic, i.e., I don't have a sense of smell (at all), and I live alone and know no one who can come over and do a sniff test for me (I just moved here), so I won't know if I've gotten the odor out until management does an inspection and I lose my deposit because the carpet smells like cat pee.

It's only two small places, and I THINK I found it within a couple of days of him soiling it. He'd peed in a dog bed, and in a basket of socks, so they caught most of the urine, but the carpet beneath them did feel damp. I don't know whether that means it had dried some, or if, hopefully, the urine didn't soak into the carpet. It was also very dilute urine. He's in chronic renal failure, so he takes in a lot of fluid and pees watery urine.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
I treated 2 areas, each about 3 square feet to be sure I got it all
It wasn't wet enough to blot anything up
I used about 1/4 bottle of an oxygen cleaner on each spot, rubbed it in, and before it dried completely the next day...
I used half a bottle of Urine Gone on each, and rubbed it in, and before it dried completely this morning...
I treated both areas with "Kids and Pets" enzyme cleaner because I couldn't find any more "Urine Gone" in the store.

It's currently wet with the enzyme cleaner. None of these cleaners contain detergent. The carpet doesn't look or feel soiled or sticky or anything, but it didn't look or feel dirty even when it was just damp with urine.

Comments (11)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I don't have an answer for you, but I have two suggestions. They say a black light will show cat urine. And if you don't get a good answer here, you might post your question on the pets forum.

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

Hi,

This may sound like a commercial, but there is something called D-Molish Now. It's an enzymatic cleaner that destroys all types of organic wastes and the smells that go along with them. It's very effective against cat urine, one of the hardest to get out. It is true that a black light will show the urine spots, just like on CSI. It shows all kinds of bodily fluids, so that is a measure of how much you've gotten out. It sounds like it probably didn't get wet enough to soak into the padding, which is usually where it is hardest to get the smell out. I hope this helps you. I'm sorry your kitty is sick. Good luck.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Grandmamaloy, have you used D-molish yourself on urine?

I have a blacklight especially for detecting urine because I can't smell. It isn't a reliable method. I've never seen wet urine fluoresce at all, and only maybe 50% of dry urine spots fluoresce. I imagine it has something to do with what minerals the animal passes in its urine, and how concentrated the urine is. Neither of these spots fluoresce, but I don't THINK either has dried since it happened.

• angiepangie
    9 years ago

I've had a few cat accidents myself. I've always used the enzymatic cleaner from walmart- no particular brand, just whatever they have in the pet aisle at the time. It's always worked for me. I once had a cat pee on a fleece shirt, and I could never get the smell out, and had to toss it. I washed it several times but it never stopped smelling. This was before I knew about enzyme cleaners. While it is true that it can be hard to get out of carpet- as long as you attend to it promptly, with enzymes, and we're only talking about a couple of small areas- I think you will be fine, honestly. Especially since the urine was so dilute. By the way I am so sorry about your kitty.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We had brand new carpet installed several years ago. Within a month, my cat got sick and urinated on the carpet. We thought we'd have to rip it all up and replace it, it was that bad. When I took the cat to the vet, I asked about the carpet. She gave me a can of spray, I think it was called The Equalizer or something similar. Used a black light to find the spots that needed spraying. I sprayed them and it completely removed the smell. I've never seen this product in stores, but I am sure a vet would have something that will take care of it. I am sorry your kitty too, they are members of the family and seeing them sick is heartbreaking. I lost one to cancer in Aug and I still miss her terribly.

• emma
    9 years ago

angie that reminds me of my trip to Africa. A young man on the trip was walking behind a tame rhino when it urinated backwards, the boy was soaked with it. One of the zoo keepers on the trip with us said toss it, you will never get the smell out. The kid was a bit embarrassed. Can you imagine an animal that big urinating you a person, it would be like a shower of pee. Yuck

• polyd
    9 years ago

Emma thankfully I wasn't wearing the shirt at the time! The cat was mad at me. It was my favorite fleece, too. A rhino??? I cannot imagine!

• oceanna
    9 years ago

I bred and showed dogs for years and the best I've ever found for urine in carpet is Nature's Miracle. It's very popular and for good reason. Most pet stores carry it. It's got enzymes in it that eat the urine, so I've heard. It works, and that's what matters.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Yes, Natures Miracle is good stuff and its available everywhere.

• PRO
    Eco Clean LLC.
    9 years ago

Its really difficult to get rid of such stains. I tried to clean the stains of our dog's urine but it didn't , apart from this there are various other stains which are difficult to get rid off easily. For this the best way is to make use of professional carpet cleaners . They can easily remove it and suggest you certain tips to maintain your carpets for long time. To know more about this carpet cleaners check this out .