Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cista

Best handheld steam cleaner

cista
16 years ago

What do you have and is it worth it? With two little boys plus the DH with not so good aim, I'm thinking that one of these might be helpful in the bathroom. Just looking for recommendations. TIA

Comments (4)

• lilathabit
    16 years ago

I was just about to post asking if anyone has used the SteamFast SF-275. I just bought it from amazon.com and so far, I am not impressed. I can't say I think it cleans any better than using a good scrub sponge and elbow grease.

I tried it on grout, ceramic tiles in the bathroom with soap scum, and a stainless steel stovetop with burned on grease.

It did nothing with the soap scum. Nothing with the grout and while it did clean a good amount of the cooktop, it left behind the stuff I would have had trouble getting off anyway.

Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong? We put the bristles to the test, so I don't even know if I can return it. I actually don't want to if it actually does work. I need all the cleaning help I can get!

Any opinions and tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

• graywings123
    16 years ago

If money is no object, you may want to look at the vaporclean.com products.

I bought a used VaporClean TR5 on E-bay, and have been happy with it for the short time I have used it. You can use it as both a floor cleaner and a handheld cleaner.

But the VaporClean machines cost about three times as much as the products made by Shark and Bissell.

Here is a link that might be useful: vapor clean

• jiggreen
    16 years ago

I like my Steamfast, but I don't use it on things that would normally need a good hard scrubbing, such as baked on grease and stuff on a stovetop. I use it ALOT in the bathroom...I find it is wonderful to use around the toilet area, as well as the faucets (it sure shines up the chrome!). I'm able to get in all the nooks and crannies all over the bathroom and as long as it is completely warmed up (which doesn't take long) it doesn't leave a puddle of water. As for soap scum in the shower, no, it doesn't do a good job on that....but I didn't really expect it to. I use a good cleaner on my shower and my Black and Decker power scrubber as well as my Mr. Clean Magic erasers to get rid of the soap scum. In my mind, the steamer will never replace elbow grease when it comes to certain tasks. It's a tool I use to aid in my efforts to maintain a clean/sanitary home, but I don't expect miracles from it.

jiggreen

• syd87
    12 years ago

Guys, the problem people have with hand held steamers is that they often expect large results from them when they are only meant for light jobs! You are not going to get very hot steam or a lot of pressure since they were meant to carry out light jobs like cleaning the sink, mirrors, counter top, toys etc. If you want to clean grout or other tough stains, then I suggest that you get a more powerful steamer like the Mcculloch or Haan steamers..

Here is a link that might be useful: hand held steam cleaners and more