Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Few questions about cleaning tile floors

angiepangie
9 years ago

I've got a very small amount of ceramic tile flooring in my house. A little entry way, about 4X6, a little bathroom about 4X8 and a little kitchen area / utility room about 10X12.

I've been cleaning on my hands and knees with a sponge and bucket and a hot water, soap and vinegar wash. I guess it gets the floors clean, but it hurts, and the floors never 'shine'.

I tried a 'swiffer' but all if did was pushed dirt around and left chemicals on my floor and strong perfumed smell. I don't like chemicals on the floor for the dog to walk on, and strong smells give me asthma.

I bought a mop, which broke the first time I used it.

All the floor cleaners in walmart leave some sort of residue behind ( I guess that is what makes it shine) but I know that over time that builds up.

With winter coming and our floors needing to be cleaned once a week I wish I knew a better way to get clean floors.

Who can suggest a good cleaner that will make my floors shiny and clean, but not be heavily scented or leave a buildup, and doesn't need rinsing?

I will continue to clean on my hands and knees because there are so many small spaces (around toilet, sink, etc ) that a mop head won't fit.

Comments (26)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I assume you mean that you have ceramic tile floors? If so, I would suggest a steam mop. No chemicals, just hot water. I think it is the very best way to clean ceramic tile.

The link below is a list of the many threads on steam cleaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam cleaning threads

• johnc777
    9 years ago

I know this is a silly question but is the floor supposed to be "shiny". Some tile as a matte finish and unless you put something on it to make it shine (think wax) it's gonna be matte.

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not sure if it is supposed to look shiny or not, now that you mention it. It doesn't look any different after I clean it. A bit streaky, but not like it's been cleaned. I can't afford or store a steam cleaner. 800 sq feet packed to the brims over here, lol~

• graywings123
    9 years ago

You can get a Haan or a Shark steam mop for less than $100. And you can hang it on a wall in about the same space as a mop and bucket.

A steam mop solves the six problems you described: you have a small space, it hurts to be on your hands and knees, you don't want to use chemicals, you don't want chemical odor, you don't want cleaner residue, and you need to do frequent cleaning. I am at a complete loss to offer anything that does all that while costing zero and not taking up any space.

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't mean to be rude but I don't HAVE money to buy a steam cleaner. My question, while rambling, was asking who can suggest a good floor cleaner that doesn't leave residue or scent. I did go over the other methods I have tried and while I understand the benefits of steam cleaning, you will just have to take me at my word that I can't afford it and don't have the place for it. I do appreciate your input.

• lucybcstx
    9 years ago

The streakiness could be residue from the soap you've been using.

You might want to try window cleaner. The blue kind that has some ammonia in it.

Dry the floors after scrubbing. An old bath towel works well.

P.S. You don't have to be on your hands and knees while you dry the floors. Just 'ice skate' around.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Part of your problem may be that you have been using products that make it "shiny" and it's a matte tile ... it will look streaky where the "shine" built up.

To get rid of the product buildup and start fresh, use soap and water and a scrub brush with a handle (it's called a "deck brush") to save your knees. Scrub hard with plenty of water and pick up the excess with towels and wash the towels. Do this until the towels aren't picking up any dirt.

For maintenance, along with wiping up spills as they happen, use vinegar and water and a mop - ordinary squeeze-style sponge mop with a scrubber strip. Get the tiles pretty wet, let it sit a couple of minutes then scrub it off.

The oily stuff from dog paws (they sweat through their feet) is hard to get off floors - when we had dogs, I used the general purpose cleaning concentrates like PineSol, Lysol or the generic equivalents. The lemon scented ones aren't bad, and you might find an unscented one. They cut grease better than floor cleaners and leave less residue. (and it's one less product to store).

• angiepangie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've wanted to try Lysol, is it safe for pets? This interests me because it will sanitize the bathroom floor as well.

I also have some real window cleaner so will try that. As a side note, they don't put ammonia in many window cleaners any more. I had been using vinegar and water for years but missed how ammonia would get dog snot off windows! When I went to buy some only one brand still had it in there.

Thankfully there is no build up on my floors as all I have cleaned them with is vinegar and water with drop of dishsoap. I think my issue here is that the tiles are matte and simply won't turn shiny.

I will write back after trying the windex / Lysol and let you know. Thanks

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

I too would suggest a steam mop. If you shop around, they have ones with heads or attachments designed to get into all the little spaces, though it sounds like you are really particular and may end up getting on your hands and knees for some of those places anyway. Try kneeling on a towel or one of those knee-thingys you can buy for kneeling in the garden. Also try to keep your back and neck straight (we tend to curl our spine when on our hands and knees) I have a bad back and bad knees, so I have the same problem. And sometimes....you just have to realize you are limited and accept it. I've had to do some of that. If you can afford it, have a maid come in once a month, just to do those tile floors (the corners and around the tub and toilet) really well. Or, pay a child or grandchild to do it. :) Hope this helps.

• polyd
    9 years ago

I am particular :-( If I am going to clean the floors I have to have them clean. As in every nook and cranny. We've got a small house, a dog, and a husband allergic to everything so I got in the habit of having the house really clean at all times. Also a little OCD, I admit it.

I have bad arthritis, too. In our last house I cleaned 1400 sq feet of tile floors on my hands and knees and re did the grout, as I could not stand some of it was white and some brown, and some so dirty it was black. The OCD in me wanted all the grout the same level of clean and all the tiles the same level of clean- no dingy walkways. Isn't that stupid? I landed myself in a wheelchair for a week and never repeated that. But, the floors looked really nice when we sold the house! So I was delighted with the small amount of tile in this house!

No kids or grandkids, but my eyesight is getting worse so maybe this issue will take care of itself ;-) I do have a girl that mows the lawn time to time. I bet she would do my floors! Thanks for the tip!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I sweep, then use a Rubbermaid Reveal spray mop with plain water.

They're about $25, and you simply throw the cleaning pad in the washing machine. The shape of the pad and swivel action gets in all but the tiniest areas. Easily gets around the toilet.

I tried using soap and water in the sprayer, but found it left a residue. Plain water seems to work just fine. If there's a spill or something, I just spot clean that with all purpose cleaner. Bending, not on hands and knees!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbermaid Reveal

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 16:57

• krissie55
    9 years ago

I use 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water to clean matte finish porcelain tile floors.

Spray floors good to get wet. Use old piece of towel and your foot to mop the floors. This leaves no residue. Floors will look and feel clean.

I do not use a sponge, that just shoves dirt into the grout.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

What type of other flooring do you have? I use my steam cleaner on my tile and wood. Just saying that maybe the investment would be worth it if you used it all almost all your floors. You could then get rid of all your other mops which might free up room. I have tile in three rooms and only 1 is shiny and that is because that is the type of tile it is. The other 2 have a matte finish. I just clean with the steam mop and use a little bleach on one floor that used to get very dirty with the dog.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 19:20

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I ditto the people who recommend a steam cleaner. I've had mine for many years and it was worth the investment, and it cleans tiles beautifully. No streaks , scent or residue..

• violetwest
    9 years ago

she says she cannot afford a steam cleaner, guys.

and I wonder if the "shiny" comes from advertising hoo hoo.

• lucybcstx
    9 years ago

Chiming in again here . . .

Window cleaner with ammonia in it will take care of hairspray overspray also. Just leave it for a minute or two, it will wipe right off.

I don't know if the OP uses hairspray but if she does that might be part of the problem. Hairspray is lacquer. Dust sticks to it. Regular cleaners don't dissolve it very well.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

i use a vileda mop and pail. You know the mop that looks like a bunch of strips of j cloth.
    I use it with vinegar and water freshly boiled. Cleans well, dries fast.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

water freshly boiled? why would "freshly boiled" be better than plain hot water?

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Violet, is your tap water as hot as freshly boiled out of the kettle or pan? If so, it will dry at the same rate. Not as effective as chemicals, but the boiling hot water also helps to kill germs.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

oh, I see. hmm -- I use boiling water on my drains, but don't think I'd be comfortable mopping with it; I'd be afraid of being burned.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I second the 50/50 water/alcohol "homebrew" that many of us on these boards have been using for over 14 years. It's my go to cleaner. I do have a steam mop but don't use it near as often since buying a Mint (now called Braava) robotic floor sweeper/wet mop. When in wet mop mode. I spray my solution several feet in front of the robot. OP, After vacuuming or dry mopping, use a microfiber type mop head saturated in the water/alcohol solution and then spray it on the floor. You'll love the smooth, clean satin-y feeling o your floors :) Yes, there is an alcohol smell but it quickly dissipates. No sticky, no resuide, no streaking.

• oceanna
    9 years ago

My favorite cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena (it cleans well, smells wonderful) and Oxiclean mixed up in water. I have it in a spray bottle.

My favorite mop is my Libmann - the cloth type string mop where you can run the head through the washing machine.

I have a steam mop but I think it's a lot of hassle to use and I wasn't that impressed with its cleaning abilities. So when my floors seem really dirty I use a FloorMate cleaning machine. I like that it sucks the water and dirt up so they can be tossed away, not smeared around on the floor. Easy to use, easy to clean up. It's too slow for my liking in dispensing water/cleaner to the floor, so I wet the floor with the mop soaking wet, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then go suck it all up with the FloorMate. I do the wet-and-wait method when just using a floor mop, too. Saves a lot of hard scrubbing.

I know you said you can't afford a steam cleaner (and probably not a Floormate if they still even make them). But if you decide you do want one, you might keep an eye on Craigslist. You can get some whopping bargains there sometimes.

• oceanna
    9 years ago

My favorite cleaner is Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena (it cleans well, smells wonderful) and Oxiclean mixed up in water. I have it in a spray bottle.

My favorite mop is my Libmann - the cloth type string mop where you can run the head through the washing machine.

I have a steam mop but I think it's a lot of hassle to use and I wasn't that impressed with its cleaning abilities. So when my floors seem really dirty I use a FloorMate cleaning machine. I like that it sucks the water and dirt up so they can be tossed away, not smeared around on the floor. Easy to use, easy to clean up. It's too slow for my liking in dispensing water/cleaner to the floor, so I wet the floor with the mop soaking wet, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then go suck it all up with the FloorMate. I do the wet-and-wait method when just using a floor mop, too. Saves a lot of hard scrubbing.

I know you said you can't afford a steam cleaner (and probably not a Floormate if they still even make them). But if you decide you do want one, you might keep an eye on Craigslist. You can get some whopping bargains there sometimes.

• oceanna
    9 years ago

Sorry, didn't mean to post that twice!

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

What is the alcohol being used? Is it the one we buy at the pharmacy?
    Very curious to know this as I'm always open to better methods/products.
    many thanks
    Lori

• violetwest
    9 years ago

OMG, I LOATHE the lemon verbena scent from Mrs. Meyers. Ugh; smells like old socks to me. Much prefer the lavender or basil.

and the Mrs. Meyers cleanser will definitely leave a sticky slimy residue on tile -- even very, very diluted. tried it.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 12:32