Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniee818

Cleaning Chrome Faucets

bonniee818
17 years ago

We have been drying our faucets alot getting out of the shower since the water isn't the best in the world where we built & using something like comet & wet sponge every now & then to keep them shiny. We also have brushed nickel in some of the bathrooms. What is the best & least abrasive way to keep the chrome faucets looking new? Thanks for your help!

Bonnie

Comments (17)

• GammyT
    17 years ago

I live in the land of Super Hard Water. Grew up near here so I know the water and missed it, it tastes better over filtered stuff.

Lime Away is my best friend. I have tried CLR and that BAMM stuff. CLR tries but that Bamm doesn't make a dent.

Use lime away, once you get any build up off, just spray the chrome give it a minute and wipe it off, shines like new.

I also found that Lime Away is the only thing that cleans our glass shower doors and the hard water ring that happens at the water line in the toilets.

• bonniee818
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the helpful info, gammyt! Will try it.

Bonnie

• Sandys_Garden
    17 years ago

Bonnie, after you've cleaned the faucets, spray them with some WD-40 - you'll be amazed at how new they look. Keeps the water from spotting them so much too. Sandy

• bonniee818
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sandy for the tip........will try it!

Bonnie

• Linda
    17 years ago

Bonnie

I had a cleaning lady that used Rubbing Alcohol. It worked great. After I stopped using her, I continued to use the rubbing alcohol. It makes the faucets look like new.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    17 years ago

As noted above, consider WD-40.

I would spray it on a clean dry cloth and wipe the metal after the metal has been cleaned and dried. If you spray it on the fixture the smell may be last for too long and become a distraction. A commercial company called ServiceMaster once sold some stuff to hospitals for use on metal. It was remarkably like WD-40 but cost much more.

• jannie
    17 years ago

Bar keepers friend works for me.

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I use a chrome polish on mine regularly.Car wax would work.

• kazooie
    17 years ago

gel gloss works great. you can by it at HD. just wipe it on and polish it off. sometimes it may take a little elbow grease and a couple of applications to get off some built up hard water, but once it is polished, water will just bead up on it. i also use it on the sinks, the cultured marble counter tops, tubs and shower.

• hcmcm
    16 years ago

Lemon pledge. Spray a rag with plenty of pledge and then polish the faucets. After using the shower, rub the faucets with a dry rag. You won't need to reapply pledge often.

• meezer
    16 years ago

Use a dry Miracle Cloth. No cleaner needed.

• partyofsix
    16 years ago

Another non-chemical way....Dryer sheets. I read it from the Queen of Clean. After I take the clothes out of the dryer I take the used cling free sheet and keeping it dry I wipe down my chrome faucets. They are always shiny and sparkly and I just do a different sink after each load of laundry so it doesn't even seem like an extra chore. My 6 year old now loves to do this and when she sees me taking the clothes out of the dryer she will ask "Mommy, can I polish?" :-)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Micro Fiber cloths work great. I dampen a corner of the cloth, wipe the faucet, then buff it with the dry part of the cloth..comes out very shinny with out the use of chemicals..I also been hearing a lot about dryer sheets.. haven't tried it yet.. sounds like that works as well. Ree

• luckylady742
    15 years ago

I have real hard well water. I came on this site for help & Boy, you guys are great. Thanks so much for the helpful hints. I'll be visiting this site on a regular basis.
    Norma

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

DO NOT use an abrasive cleaner like Comet on chrome or marble bathroom fixtures, I learned that the hard way. Both will scratch beyond repair. Use a soft cleaner, and the alcohol tip does work well on all faucet materials.

• idontknowbrian
    15 years ago

Vinegar