Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning glass with hard water or calcium stains

Posted by bennyhaha (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 12:14

I've been trying to clean my shower glass with CLR and a razor/scraper... it gets 85% of the calcium deposits, but I really want to get it all... anyone have a suggestion for a next step?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning glass with hard water or calcium stains

Try white vinegar first to loosen the worst stains. If you can drape a vinegar soaked towel or sheet over the door and let it sit for a while.

Then use gel gloss glass cleaner It cleans waterspots from glass and gives it a protective coating so spots stay away

o

I am amazed how well vinegar gets off those mineral deposits around my faucets. Try it.

o

I've been through this with our home that is now 15 years old. For many years before we remodeled our bathroom I was stymied by what seemed to be hard water stains on our glass (it's different, by the way, on tile). Glass is etched by our repeated use of cleaners and eventually, the water is etched into the glass and will never, never be cleaned out. If you are not in a position to remove and replace the glass, stop, STOP using caustic cleaners on your glass. Vinegar will remove immediate deposits but will not remove the etched-in deposits of repeated toxic cleaner use. You can try other non toxic glass cleaners that might brighten your glass as a whole, but you will not remove the etched in deposits from the past. Sorry -- been there.

o

Instead of harsh chemical sprays, get those windows and mirrors crystal clear with a simple solution of white vinegar, newspaper and a little elbow grease. Youll also save money and the hassle of needing to stock more cleaning supplies.

Its simple: get some white distilled vinegar and dispense into a used spray bottle. Squirt on, then scrub with newspaper, not paper towels, which cause streaking.

If you dont like the smell, you can add 4 tablespoons of vanilla extract or lemon juice depending on your preferred scent.

If there are any stubborn stains you can sprinkle baking soda on them after you spray with vinegar and scrub with a sponge.

o

I think you should try vinegar. It will remove that spots completely. It smells a little different, but if you are not a smell sensitive person, you won't have any problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here