Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions re cleaning up after Sandy

Posted by anyah (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:29

I am gutting my home and cleaning up after Sandy. After gutting the house (throwing away furniture, rugs, appliances, drywall, trim and insulation all around, as well as all insulation from the crawl space) Is it worth it to pay companies like ServPro $15,000 to put fans and dehumidifiers in the home and crawl space to dry it out and then to spray it down with an anti-microbial? Can we do this ourselves with fans and dehumidifiers and bleach spray? Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions re cleaning up after Sandy

I'd try doing it myself. Have you checked with your home insurance company about this? Even without flood insurance, your homeowners policy may pay something. I had a home flood from a broken pipe under my basement, leaked dirty water into my carpeted basement family room. My insurance paid for a Serv-Pro cleanup, tho I did notice my premium went up the next year. Just my experience/suggestion.

o

You can rent any pieces of equipment and DIY.

o

anyah: I am so sorry for what you're going through. You can probably DIY if you can rent commercial equipment to do the job. But given the stress you've been through, do you really want to take this on? Companies like ServPro are having a field day with pricing, but they presumably know what they're doing. If you can afford to totally rebuild and replace the contents, it may be worth $15k to have a pro take on the nasty cleanup job. This is just my opinion without knowing anything more about your financial situation and abilities. Definitely check with your insurance company to see if they'll cover any of the cost. If you haven't already, try to get free literature from FEMA related to cleaning up after a flood and mold removal. Depending on where you're located, this information may be available at a disaster recovery center or at one of the big box stores (HD, Lowes, Costco, etc). Send me a PM if you need assistance. Good luck.

o

Im sorry for your trouble. I went up to Jersey with several generators and fuel for family members, and it was really a mess. I would do the work myself, but thats me. Get a case of TSP and add plain old bleach to tsp hot water mix. That will clean damn near anything. The bleach will kill the mould, and the TSP is a heck of a cleaner (Spic and Span?) Buy a good shop vac and a couple of good fans, and a couple of simmer pumps. I helped several people cleanup after a past flood in Bound Brook, and used my pressure washer in the basement. That basement had never been that clean, even when it was built. Use a Hudson sprayer with your cleaner, then pressure wash.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I am stil trying to get my insurance company to respond. I know they are overloaded but my patience is wearing thin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here