Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean a dirty enamel tea kettle

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:08

My tea kettle sits on my stove all the time. It is whiteand had brownish gunk from cooking that would not come off with scrubbing.

I decided to try oven cleaner. I got the no fume type that works in a cold oven. I put the kettle in the sink and sprayed the entire outside then let it sit for an hour. I came back and washed it with a plastic scrub pad and dish soap. All the gunk came off, even the really bad spots on the bottom.

A $3 can of oven cleaner saved the day! Now I don't have to get a new kettle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean a dirty enamel tea kettle

Buy a bottle of store brand cheapo Sudsy Ammonia. For me it costs less than $2. Pour that in the kettle full strength and let it sit (cold) overnight. The next morning all that gunk will be loosened enough you can scrub it off. Don't heat the ammonia or mix with any other chemicals.

o

I'd strongly recommend using non-toxic cleaners on ANYTHING you put food (or water your family will drink) in. You could have gotten the same results by making a paste of baking soda and water, spreading it over the spots and letting it sit for a bit before cleaning it with a non-abrasive nylon scrubber. A cut lemon rubbed on the spots is also very effective (I've actually cleaned my oven with lemon--it's amazing. Please, next time, start with something that won't poison your family if by any chance any residue remains on the pot.

o

I was talking about the outside of the kettle - not the inside. I'd already tried vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, orange cleaner and noting would take off the gunk. It was like the gunk that gets on your oven walls. I have a glass top stove and wonder if that has anything to do with it. When I had a burner stove, the tea kettle did not get this brown buildup on the outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here