Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apt reno done--must clean now. How to clean marble, wood...

Posted by simoneb (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 9:40

Hi. My reno is "done", but the contractors left a HUGE mess. I have to clean everything today so I can move in. I've searched the forums, but can't find all the advice I need. I need suggestions for the following.

POLISHED MARBLE FLOORS: I read vinegar is bad bad bad. What to use?

EXCESS GROUT: It's all over my subway tile. How do I get rid of this?

WOOD FLOORS: I've never had wood.... thoughts?

STAINLESS: I put baby oil on the outside of my stove and it worked like a dream. Can I put this on the part where the burners are. That seems unsafe somehow with fire, but maybe I am wrong... is it OK?

CHROME FIXTURES: Is baby oil ok for these too?

TUB/BATHROOM SINK: I used to use soft scrub -- still OK?

I think that's it. Many, MANY thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apt reno done--must clean now. How to clean marble, wood...

POLISHED MARBLE FLOORS: I read vinegar is bad bad bad. What to use? Water is fine, a bit of soap if there is a spill or spot. Do not use chemicals or abrasive cleaning materials.

EXCESS GROUT: It's all over my subway tile. How do I get rid of this? The contractor should be responsible for the tile installer, they should take care of it, not you.

WOOD FLOORS: I've never had wood.... thoughts? As long as they are sealed, a dry duster should do the trick, a little water on a rag for really dirty spots.

STAINLESS: I put baby oil on the outside of my stove and it worked like a dream. Can I put this on the part where the burners are. That seems unsafe somehow with fire, but maybe I am wrong... is it OK? I think you will be VERY sorry you did this, the oil will just coagulate and attract dust and turn to a gunky mess. Baby oil shouldn't be used as a cleaning agent. There are cleaners made for stainless appliances, use them instead.

CHROME FIXTURES: Is baby oil ok for these too? No. Rubbing alcohol works very well.

TUB/BATHROOM SINK: I used to use soft scrub -- still OK? Yes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here