Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean carving on antique furniture

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 9:08

By carving, I mean the decorative moldings on antique furniture. The head board esp.on my old oak bed has beautiful
work, but dust has settled in over the years and seems to be on there like glue. I realize now my mistake was probably using spray on furniture polish, but only recently have I noticed how bad it looks. How do I remove the grayish gunk in the wood folds of the carvings? Like I said, it's on there like glue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean carving on antique furniture

Mineral spirits and cotton swabs and small brushes, like baby's toothbrushes. Also manicure sticks.

Swab on the mineral spirits with a soft cloth to soften the gunk, and clean out the crevices with the tools.

o

You might not want to remove all the gray gunk. I think
It's similar to the black tarnish in silveware. A little bit of background color to accentuate the patterns. I'd try buying some Pledge wipes and usen them to spiff up this piece. Good luck.

o

But would mineral spirits take off the wood's finish? Not sure I've used those before, but it's worth a try if the finish doesn't get damaged.

jannie, the layer of light gray gunk is very noticeable in the dark curls of the oak pieces. It looks as tho I haven't dusted in 50yrs., tried scratching it with my fingernail and the stuff won't budge. I'm wondering if I'm seeing it now because the room has been remodeled and there is more light in there now! ha.

Just had a thought, in the past I've used Murphy's on a damp cloth once in a while to wipe the headboard down, suppose it ruined the finish? If that was the case, the rest of the headboard would be gray too tho. Thanks for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here