Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Expert Vacuum Recommendation Needed Please

charley526
12 years ago

I have $500 to spend on a new vacuum. It will be used a couple times a week on medium profile carpet only: bedrooms, office, playroom, hall, and stairs, all upstairs.

We do not have pets, but do have 3 messy young children. Husband & kids have allergies & I have major smell sensitivity issues. So I really am not sure if I should go bagged or bagless?

I was about to spend about $500 on a Dyson. But I am hesitating because there are a few things that I think may be a problem for me. According to reviews it doesn't do well along baseboards nor under furniture because of it's high profile. It does come with a "Flat Out Tool" for under furniture, and a tool for along baseboards, but that just seems like it would make double work for me, switching tools and all just to finish the floors...I did like the extra long hose to reach to the bottom of the stairs without having to lug the whole unit with me.

What other vacuums should I consider? Is $500 even enough to get what I need?

TIA!

Comments (16)

• lucky51
    12 years ago

Miele Salsa (found at Brick & Morter Miele dealers only).

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I have a Rainbow vac and it does everything. You can even shampoo your rugs with it. You can call for a demonstration. You'd have to google them.

• charley526
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
    Yayagal: I have a carpet steam cleaner already, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind for the future!

Is the Miele Salsa the same as the Jazz? Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the Jazz at a place like Bed Bath & Beyond using one of there 20% off coupons?

Thanks.

• MiMi
    12 years ago

I have attached the link to the vacuum that I absolutely love!... This is the second one of these I have had in the past nine years. My first one lasted 7 years and then the self-propelled part went out and could not be fixed. I tried a Dyson, did not like it, I could tell it did not work as good as the Hoover WindTunnel. I also tried a couple different other ones and took them all back.. I got on the internet to find another Windtunnel since I could not find one locally... I found it at Overstock.com for a great price and it came in just a few short days. It is amazing what this vacuum picks up and the hepa filter really stops all that dust and dirt. Do not let the price fool you .. this is one good cleaning machine..

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoover Windtunnel on Overstock.com

• lucky51
    12 years ago

I would hope by now people would not need a lecture as to why buying from an independent business is better for you and your local community than buying from a large corporation. Besides the fact BB&B will not service your vacuum after purchase, the Miele should not be eligible in the 20% coupon. In this case the Salsa is actually cheaper at a vac store than the Jazz and close enough even if you were able to get the 20% (If the vac store gives you a box of bags, the deal is better than at BB%B). Plus you have supported a business that will serve you better in the long run should something be needed for your vacuum. Price is not always the indication of VALUE.

As far as the Windtunnel how much of the debris in the vacuum is actually your rug vs dirt?

• geguymw
    12 years ago

You could look at the Miele S7 uprights, because they would give you most everything you need. I have a concern with your "major smell sensitivity issue". How much a vacuum's exhaust smells, or not, can only be determined by you. The Miele has a special odor fighting filter, but the filter will not get rid of all the odors. It does improve the exhaust air greatly.

You could get the M7 Jazz, from BB&B, for $550. I am not sure where Lucky51 is getting the "cheaper" price for the Salsa over the Jazz. How can he know that the Miele dealer in your area will price match to the $550 price of the Jazz?

If anyone purchases a Miele from BB&B, it will be warranted by Miele. All you have to do is take it to your local Miele vac shop and they will repair it under warranty.

I really do not think about this as a bad thing. The Miele dealer can still establish a "relationship" after the sale, because they will need out of warranty work, supplies, parts. I am going to have a smile on my face and be very helpful, because I want them to have a positive and memorable experience. That will bring them back. If I tell them I will not repair it or say something like you made a mistake by buying from them, them they will not be returning. They will also tell their friends about their experience.

People need to understand the Miele brand. In Europe, they are sold in regular retail like Comet's. You can also purchase them over the internet, from these places. When Miele came to the U.S., they were sold in vac shop exclusively. Now, in North America, they are also sold in BB&B, some Oreck stores and some Ace Hardware stores. I think they are sold in Canada, in Canadian Tire stores. Think about it.

Just do not expect to purchase a Miele from ebay, with a warranty, and expect Miele to honor it.

Another vacuum cleaner to look at, would be the Riccar Radiance and its sister brand the Simplicity Synergy. They most likely will cost more, but the price depends on which dealer you go to. Some shops have reasonable prices. The only thing that bothered me with these models, was that they were louder than their then Premium models.

• lucky51
    12 years ago

1. I cannot speak for EVERY vac store but I'm confident you will be pleasantly surprised and It would be in your best interest financially to compare the price of the Salsa in store vs the Jazz in the box store.

2. I'm not sure why people believe independent store scan sustain an existence by only selling bags. That isn't enough for a store to survive. I'm positive geguymw's smile would not be as bright when his bills were to arrive. Besides where is the fairness in selling a product then passing on the essentially free warranty repair onto someone else's shoulders using their time & resources. Whatever business you or your family is in, could you imagine having someone else get paid for the work but then you have to fix any problems for free? I do warranty work, I do it with a smile and I develop a future relationship...I cannot however, guarantee I will be in business if I don't do sales as well.

There are several surveys out that all concur more of your dollar spent in a local independent store stays in your community. I'm not going to defend this anymore. I do suggest you check out the vacancies in your town and figure how this helps your property value.

While connected MieleUSA buys from Miele Germany they run differently.

• furnitureshopper
    12 years ago

We have had a Miele Jazz for about six months, purchased from BB&B mail order. Although I wanted to purchase from my local vacuum shop, I had to give up hope they would ever get this vacuum in stock. It was always "on order" but never came in. The shop only had a "dog and cat" model, which was rated even higher by a leading consumer magazine but has a different filter and a pet attachment. The Jazz is a great vacuum, very quiet. Note that the cheapest S7 does not have a headlight, which was an important feature for me.

• edwinsmoz
    12 years ago

Stick with your Dyson, really. We owned a major cleaning company and did a lot of detail work and all we used is Dyson. All the other vacuums we tried fell apart after a short time. The wand and attachments on the Dyson are there for spots under tables and beds. As far as a bag upright, I think Orek makes a good vacuum, that's what most of the other companies were using.

• littlebug5
    12 years ago

Dyson, hands down. Very dependable and durable. Mine is at least 10 years old and works like brand-new. I hope I never have to buy another vacuum. (I'm 56.)

Oreck is a joke. I tossed mine.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

If allergies are a concern, Dyson is not the way to go (IMO). Bagless cannot be a sealed system.

The Miele will be a sealed system as long as you go with the S7, S5 or S4 series. The less expensive S2 is not a sealed system.

I own a Miele S7 and S5 and love them. They are much nicer than my BIL's Dyson stow away. I find emptying the container on the Dyson gross. I also find the Dyson more bulky and awkward. My Miele S5 is so light and compact but the suction is excellent.

The S7 grooms carpet beautifully. Much nicer than the power head on my Beam central vac.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I have electolux central,love it ,love it,I bought a dyson my daughter calls it mike ..dyson...lol I hate it with a passion,it goes where it wants I hate it..too much money for what I got.

• beaniebakes
    12 years ago

I used a Miele for 25 years but got tired of purchasing expensive bags. Although the unit still works well, it needs several replacement parts which would cost more than $250, so I started looking for a new vacuum cleaner. This was about two years ago. I live in a small, 2-story house with hardwood floors, oriental rugs, and a tile bathroom. A local independent store convinced me to buy a floor model of a Riccar Sunburst -- a "great deal" that they said would meet my needs. The Sunburst is a small compact model. I hate it. The suction sucks -- no pun intended -- and the hose split in less than a year. Then I picked up an inexpensive Bissell upright at the hardware store. It was OK, but very noisy and too heavy to lug upstairs. Soon after, I bought a Dyson for my stepdaughter and she loved it, but I didn't want to spend that much on another vacuum. One night while watching TV, I saw the infomercial for the Shark Navigator Lift-away and couldn't believe I was even thinking of buying it based on a commercial. After reading dozens of positive reviews on Amazon, I pulled the trigger and bought it at BBB with a 20% discount coupon. I've been thrilled with it ever since and even purchased a number of accessories from the company's web site that are not available in the stores--a hard surface brush, dusting kit, etc. Frankly, I'm shocked this vacuum is never mentioned on GW. It's everything the infomercial says it is. I love the fact that the canister can be removed and carried around. Today I pulled out the old Miele and was surprised at how heavy and cumbersome it was. Some time soon, I'll be donating it to Goodwill along with the Riccar and Bissell.

• duajones
    12 years ago

The Dyson is junk period and the Navigator is poor on carpet

• beaniebakes
    12 years ago

The Navigator is fine on my orientals. I don't know about thicker wall to wall.

• kjente
    12 years ago

I'd second the recommendation to look at the Riccar. They're powerful, american company, and have great attachments that fit every home.