Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenica_gw

How I got my kitchen washcloths white again

jenica
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on this Forum before but I have been lurking. I thought you all might appreciate this tip if someone hasn't already thought of it. I already use dishwasher detergent to get tea and other stains from my sink and to clean my grout and love it but now I have yet another use for it. I use white washcloths for cleaning my kitchen counters and they inevitably get stained. I know they are clean because I wash them with bleach all the time but they looked anything but. Well I got to thinking how well dishwasher detergent got stains out of everything else so I decided to soak all my washcloths in water with a generous amount of dishwasher detergent. They came out bright white and look like new! This is great for me because before I kept buying new ones and relegating the stained ones to the cleaning rags. I ended up with a ton of cleaning rags. I like using the washcloths because it is so much better for the environment than using paper towels. I change out the washcloths daily or more so I don't worry about spreading germs.

Comments (14)

• jannie
    15 years ago

I've also tried boiling kitchen cloths in a pot with lots of water water and about a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent. They get clean and sanitized. And I'm not wasting paper towels.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I gotta try this! Thanks for posting!

• Donna-37
    15 years ago

Thank you.
    I also use dishwasher detergent to remove food stains on some of my clothing before I wash them.[check for colorfast]

• careyjc
    15 years ago

Great idea!!!! I saw something similar to that on the today show a few month's back, i use the dishwasher detergent, my laundry soap (about half of what i normally use) and hot water cycle close the cover and put it on soak. My kid's socks are always so nasty that this gets them sparkling clean again. I let them soak for about 20 minutes. great tip!!!

• mommabird
    15 years ago

Thanks for the idea about socks. My 3 sons play a lot of sports and their white socks are always ground in dirty. If I bleach them (socks that is, not kids :) ), they fall apart in no time. I will try soaking in dishwashing liquid before washing.

Also on the dish cloths - when mine get gross I just head to Dollar Tree. I can usually find nice ones for 2/$1. Then the gross ones go into the rag bag & I use them to clean the floor.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

So what's in the dishwasher soap that cleans white things so well? If it's not bleach, what is it?

• myclementine
    15 years ago

What type of detergent are you using? Liquid or powder? And you are talking about the stuff that goes in the dishwasher, right?
    I have got to try this. Thanks!

• cearab
    15 years ago

I have to see if this works. In addition to kitchen towels that no longer get clean even though I wash them in hot water/detergent/bleach, I have white washcloths that won't come clean. I buy tons of cheap white washcloths for removing makeup and doing face masks, etc. The face masks are green or brown, and I remove them with warm water and these cheap washcloths. Even though they are repeatedly washed, the stains still remain.
    I use Electrosol tabs. Should I smash these up in a bag first before adding tot he not water soak? I really hope this works as I have some favorite old tea towels that are too stained to be seen by the public!

• jenica
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used the cascade liquid. I don't even have a dishwasher I bought it just for cleaning and the liquid is easier for that purpose. Before this I used it to clean grout and to get the tea stains out of my sink. I love it for both of those tasks too, works great.

I guess if you use the tabs you probably would want to crush them and get them to dissolve in the water. I think the reason it works so well is the detergent has enzymes to break down stuck on food. I think the enzymes get rid of the stains.

• myclementine
    15 years ago

I have Coscto brand dishwasher detergent that I hate so I may put that in the laundy room for soaking whites and then I can move on to better detergent for the dishwasher.
    Thanks!

• cynic
    15 years ago

I've used an enzyme dishwashing detergent as a laundry booster for years with great success. Borax will whiten/bleach too. Also, hanging things in the sun will bleach them white, or whiter anyway.

• ladytexan
    15 years ago

I forgot to add she put in a cup of color safe bleach as well. I was doing that from memory - which fails me from time to time.

• suesan_2008
    15 years ago

Hi jenica. That is a great idea. When I had a dishwasher I used to just throw a rag in with the dishes. Worked well if done regularly, that is before the rag dries and stains set.