Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_velvet_elvis

Black glass cooktop

blue_velvet_elvis
16 years ago

I've read through all the posts here and seen how others are handling the black glass cooktops. I've tried the suggestions and they're not working for me. I was hoping has either a way they haven't previously suggested or some new magic product to purchase.

I spend more time cleaning the stove than I do using it at this point. It's always smeared and streaky looking. It's driving me bonkers.

Recently I purchased a Weimans product for glass cooktops. They make it hazy AND smeary and streaky. There has to be something, right?

Comments (17)

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Try oven cleaner. It works great on glass.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Any particular brand? That is one thing that never crossed my mind. I have always had a self cleaning oven and no need for over cleaner.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I have a black glass cooktop and don't think it is any more trouble than any other glass cooktop... except I have never had any other color!

When done doing the dishes, I wipe the cooktop with the soapy dish cloth to get any grease, etc off. I then use Cerama-bryte or something like that. My bottle is so old that I can't read the label anymore. I have had the cooktop for over 5 years and am still on the same bottle. I would think any glasstop cleaner would work. I just use a small spot of it... about the size of a quarter. I use a couple of wet papers and scub the top. I then take dry papertowels and buff it. Takes me about 3 mins to do it all-- if that long. Looks shiny and bright when I am done!

I also take a razor blade to it when ever there is anything that gets cooked on--usually in the step between wiping with the soapy dishcloth and using the ceramabryte.

I think the secret is wiping the grease off BEFORE using any type of cleaner, use minimal amounts of cleaner and buffing off with the papertowels.

I don't think it is a job to clean my glass top and it always looks good!

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I scrape whatever I can off of the cook-top before cleaning. I then spray with 50/50 white vinegar and water (it's what I use for general cleaning) and sprinkle with baking soda. Let it sit for a bit and then wipe up baking soda. It takes some elbow grease but I don't use any chemical cleaners so for me it's worth it. My stove is 10 years old and the top looks brand new. Now the inside......

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Weissman's (spell?) works great. You just need to take a damp paper towel to wipe off the haze/smear, after you use the product. I use it regularly without any problems.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I think the wipe with a damp towel after using [whatever] product is a good suggestion.

I have used the stuff that came with the stove, something from BBB and something the wife bought and all look much better after a wipe with a damp [usually paper] wipe.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Monica.. I agree! They are like a black car :) I do enough cooking so that mine is cleaned daily and I don't think it is that big of a deal to clean it...

When, and if, I ever replace my stove, I plan on getting a speckled top. I just think they look much nicer!

• vporatti_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I now have a dark purple ring inside the burner on my black cooktop. Any ideas on how to get rid of that..................................

• 01lori_h_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I sell appliances - including Monogram and Kitchen Aid. As posted above - the speckled will always look better than solid color. On cleaning: NEVER clean ceramic glass with anything that has amonia in it. It will break down the tempering in the glass and could cause it to break. Never wipe up a spill while the surface is hot/warm. Glass is porous, when warm, the pores open. If you wipe, you are actually forcing the debris into the pores. That's why it looks dirty. You may try steam cleaning/pressure wash. Someone used to make a pressure steam cleaner - it may be able to get into the pores and force the dirt out. I know that works great on grout! good luck.

• calimama
    12 years ago

I have a black cooktop and use a Mr.Clean eraser to get any stubborn grime, and then clean it off with the same water and alcohol mixture I use on my stainless steel. Works great!

• dembiec_aol_com
    12 years ago

I used to have a GE black glass top which I loved. Dealer gave me something creamy to spread on. Took just a little rubbing. Wiped off. Left a scum which had to be rinsed off. Worked great! There is some grease that sticks while cooking that won't come off with simple wiping after cooled down. Then I bought something just like it in the grocery store. Same consistency. Worked great!

Now, I'm in another state. Another black glass top. Found Weiman's in grocery store. It is liquidy and smell like Windex and does only light cleaning. Wish I remembered the name brands I used to get.

• telleco
    8 years ago

I have a Viking black glass cooktop which is almost 13 years old. It has 6 burners and I like to use the largest burner, but after so many years, it became dull, while all the others are shiny, is there anything on the market that could bring the shine back, doesn't look good at all, and I don't want to replace my cooktop because it works well.Thanks

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

bar keepers friend works for me. Inlaws have a white GE cooktop, and if you thought black was hard, white is worse!

• telleco
    8 years ago

I use Bar keepers friend all the time to clean my cooktop and use a cream to polish it, but this whitish or grayish circle doesn't go away. Must cover it with a tea kettle. Wish there was something on the market to rejuvenate it, thanks.

• nerdyshopper
    8 years ago

I have used most of the brands of glass cooktop cleaner. They all worked eventually. For thicker burnt-on stuff We have several of the razor blade scrapers and I use one aggressively. I also put cooktop cleaner on the burner and scrape. it seems to make the blade dig in better. However, after several years of use I have managed to scrape through the surface of our large burner in spots. It only shows if you know where to look and what to look for.

• telleco
    8 years ago

I don't have any problem cleaning the black glass cooktop, my problem is that my largest burner which I use most of the time because it is the hottest of all 6 has faded. It is no longer black but a dull grayish. All my six burners are working fine and I would hate having to replace the whole cooktop because one the burners looks bad. So there is anything on the market that would rejuvenate the finish glass of the cooktop?