Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing rust from bathtub....need help

Posted by fiddleddd (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 7:46

I've spent the past hour looking for the answer to my question on several of the forums, but I haven't read anything specific to bathtubs and/or toilet. We bought a duplex that has been vacant for awhile, and there are some rather bad rust stains in the bathtub. It's the original steel tub that came with the house (year 1920). It's sound structurally, so we'd like to clean it up if possible. Any ideas on how to make the tub sparkle again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing rust from bathtub....need help

Try whink rust stain remover, brown bottle can buy in grocery store.

Good luck
maid

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky

o

Maid,
Thanks for the suggestion. I researched Whink on Amazon.com, and it gets great reviews for removing rust. We'll give it a try.

o

testing (sorry)

o

It will remove all the rust. You can even use it on clothes. Great stuff.

o

Barkeeper's Friend always worked for me. You can also try CLR.

o

Zud is a powerful cleanser too.

o

If you use bleach on a porclin tub it will cause a rust stain. To remove the brown spots soak it with regular household peroxide. Try never to allow bleach products such as tilex, or other mold cleaners near the tub. Clr is ok as is clorox2 to clean your tub. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here