Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dishwashers and powdered water softener

Posted by firstkim (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 7:40

The folks on the appliance forum don't seem to have an answer, so I thought I'd try here.

The water here is hard as nails and my landlady refuses to install a water softener, but that's another topic...

We have a brand-new Whirlpool dishwasher. I use Cascade powder in it, since a plumber once told me that the gels are a major cause of clogs in dishwasher drains. I also use a rinse aid due to the hard water. But my plastics are still covered with a white scum at the end of the cycle, and it doesn't matter which variation of the cycle choices I use. I've also increased the amount of rinse aid that's released during the rinse cycle. Would it do any harm to add a teaspoon full of Calgon or some similar water softening powder to the wash cycle? Would it help?

BTW - My water heater is set at about 140 degF and I normally use the hi-heat setting as well.

TIA for any help or advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dishwashers and powdered water softener

Try "Glass Magic." Just follow the instructions on the box.

Look for in the automatic dishwasher detergent aisle of your grocery store. It used to come in a little green box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Magic @ Amazon

o

My appliance repairman suggested I use the power ball type of (Finish or Electasol, can't remember) dishwasher tablets/packets. I switched from the Cascade I have used for decades, and that white residue is gone. I also use a rinse aid at his suggestion.

o

I checked. I use Finish powerball at the plumber's suggestion.

o

Most definitely worth a shot! Thank you both very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here