Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Is T.S.P. nasty stuff?

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I have used the no rinse TSP substitute before, but doesn't seem to do too much. I am cleaning the sticky oil stains off the ceiling for painting.. I have heard of people using real TSP. How well do you have to rinse it.. is it safe for pets? I have 2 cats who needs to tour the "job site" as soon as I leave the area.

Comments (12)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I am no expert on this, but my understanding is that the reason there was a move away from TSP was to reduce the amounts of phosphates in the ground and water supply. My thinking is that it is equally dangerous - but not worse - than any other cleaning product when it comes to the pets getting into it.

I don't know if you need to rinse it off. I would think that if you used a good primer after cleaning, it would seal in any TSP residue. But I repeat, not an expert. You may want to cross post on the Paint forum and see what the paint experts say.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Yes, it was banned in many states not due to the danger to consumers using it but to our envionment.

It it put in food products so it can't be all that dangerous although it is best to eat natural whole foods whenever possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: TSP

• graywings123
    15 years ago

My goodness, I didn't know it was used in foods! Kind of scary!

• jannie
    15 years ago

TSP is the main ingredient in Spic and Span powder. I ceretainly don't want to eat that !

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Will your cats be walking or resting on the ceiling?????

• eteinne
    15 years ago

Hi,
    It's a great cleaner but do wear gloves. It will eat the skin off of your hands. Your finger prints R removed. I go to a tanning salon where U scan your thumb and the scanner was not able to read it. The same thing happened at an airport. I almost was not allowed on the plane. I smoke and after my hands were exposed to TSP without gloves my fingers I was unable to flick a Bic lighter. This is strong stuff. I have a jug of the pre-mixed TSP in the garage and have yet 2 use. I have always used the powdered product which U purchase in the paint Dept. in any hardware store. U don't have to rinse as long as U don't use too much. Just follow the directions on the box. It works well but just B carefull.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I would recommend using gloves when handling any cleaning product. It not just that it may damage the outer skin surface, which many can, but chemicals can enter the body through the skin surface and get into the bloodstream and organs. Reduce the risk. And wear a mask or cloth over the face to prevent breathing in the dust or fumes.

• mrehberg
    15 years ago

Since you have access to the literature, maybe you could fill us in? But let's be more on point. Detection in the bloodstream isn't the real question anyone should care out. The real question we should really care about is: are there studies that show harmful clinical effects of cleaning products in humans through skin absorption or inhalation?

• bookert
    15 years ago

FWIW, I know I should wear gloves when using cleaners, but do I? NO, I don't like the feel gloves give. Arg.... my poor skin. I just keep scrubbing away hoping to quickly get it done so I can wash my hands with non-bacterial type soap! =) What an oxy moron huh!
    I use TSPP and I can attest that the dust it gives off is pretty bad, I hold me breath! I have hard water and it helps my detergent work better. (Charlies Soap, Sears, and my own concoctions)

• jannie
    15 years ago

I remember once using Spic and Span powder (mixed with water) to clean my kitchen floor. I didn't wear gloves and touched the solution. It burned the skin on my hands, but it healed up fast. It made my hands very red and sore, but didn't bleed or anything like that. Applications of good hand cream helped. From then on, I wore gloves. I spend too much money on manicures to ruin my hands with chemicals.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Anyhow, back to the original question. I was researching something else and came across this comment in a thread on the Paint forum by Michael AKA Brushworks who gives solid advice:

TSP is too risky. We know it hinders adhesion if not properly flood rinsed and wiped away. The most common failure is at baseboard joints and other nooks and crannies on any paint project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on wall cleaning