Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Household Gecko Control

Posted by aiea_nana (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 4:13

We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building. In the last few we discovered two geckos in residence. We have lived in the apt for 4 months and this is the first time there have been any. I know that typically geckos live in houses or first floor dwellings. Anyone have any idea how to encourage them to move outside? They both look like babies. Does that mean we have a Mom somewhere in here? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Household Gecko Control

Well, geckos catch bugs for you so they're not altogether a bad thing :-)
If I need to relocae a gecko I carefully catch it and take it out into the garden. The kind we have will drop their tails as a defense mechanism if they get too spooked so I go very slowly and carefully so as not to scare them too much. The tail grows back but takes a long time and the new one isn't detachable so the gecko loses its defense against predators :-(.
Hold one hand in front of the gecko and slowly urge it from the back so it runs into your open hand. Gently cover it with your free hand. Take it outside and put it under a bush or in long grass so the birds won't spot it before it can find cover. I guess you could try the jar and carboard trick but I'd worry about hurting the gecko.

o

I don't remember this many geckos 20 years ago. We buy the mouse glue boards and attach them to a broomstick handle with duct tape. Then we go outside after dark and 'pat' them gently so they'll stick. They are quick and if they see you coming after the 1st time you missed, you have to move on. They also poop everywhere and I don't think they eat enough bugs. There is nothing to use to get rid of them but if someone has a solution, feel free to let us know what it is.

o

I'm not sure if we have geckos here in Georgia, but we do have little lizzards. I had a couple in my house a week ago. I was able to open a door and chase one out but the other I had to catch by dropping a large plastic cup over it, slide a thin piece of cardboard under the cup and carry the whole thing outside.

o

elbits,Yikes! Those poor little geckos. :-( It never crossed my mind that people would kill geckos or lizards. They are extrememly beneficial. I have a lot of them on my porch and patio at night... and no bugs in my house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here