Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old marble holy water font

Posted by steveningen (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 1:21

Hi folks. Hoping someone might have some tips for me. 30 years ago, I worked for a college in San Francisco. The school was housed in former Catholic middle school, complete with chapel. When we moved in, tucked away in a boiler room covered in slopped latex paint was this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's solid marble holy water font and Carrera if I'm not mistaken. They were going to throw it away! I said uh-uh and took it home, spent a couple of days gently removing the paint and it's been with me ever since.

It's grown pretty grubby over the years and I'm wanting to get it cleaned. Is this something I should have professionally done or can I do it myself? It also has some damage just below the basin. Would it be worth having it repaired?

Thanks for any tips!

Steven

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old marble holy water font

You should be able to clean it yourself.

I would only have it repaired if the damage interfered with my use of it. Since you probably are not using it as a water font, I wouldn't fix it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Carrera marble

o

Thanks for the response graywings. Very helpful link! And I'm sorry I responded so late. I've had a problem with time management lately.

Cheers,

Steven

o

I think it would look lovely with a large boston fern inside. Would any product used to clean marble countertops etc. work? I would not worry about repairing.

Brings back nun memories!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here