Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam cleaner + Wet Vac

Posted by cbsteh (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 1:13

I would like to get a steam cleaner mainly to clean my cushions, carpets, bed, and sofa in the house as well as in my car. I would also like to use the steam cleaner to clean tiles and hard floors.

I have seen 2-in-1 (combo) steam cleaner that is integrated with a wet vacuum utility. I have also seen them as separate units.

Of course, getting the combo version has several advantages: saves time, effort, and money.

But apart from that, is there any cleaning advantage of getting one unit just for steam cleaning and another for wet vacuum. What I mean is: if I were to steam clean my bed first, then wet vacuum it, would that offer any advantage in cleaning effectiveness over the combo 2-in-1 steam+vacuum? I am most interested in their differences in cleaning effectiveness, not cost, time, or money here.

I appreciate any feedback as I am so new in steam cleaning.

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam cleaner + Wet Vac

Hi chris and welcome.... I am curious to see the replies you will get as I would be interested as well.
It might take a few days to get a good answer but there are some real experts here so hopefully they will chime in with their expertise.

o

I purchased the H2O Steam Mop several months ago. It is MUCH heavier than I thought it would be. Also, you have to keep moving with it. I left it to put more water in and it took the "shine" off my vinyl floor. I'm not real happy, but love the idea of no chemicals. It also didn't take up a stain in our travel trailer (on carpet, using the rack that comes with it) like it did on TV. HEY, maybe I'm doing something wrong and need to build some muscle to use it.
I had the Swiffer Wet Jet, but hate buying the throw away pads and using their solution. SO, I'm thinking of purchasing a new Libman which uses pads you can wash and a container to make your own solution.
Sorry, I can't help on the 2-in-1!

o

Melody, let us know what you think of the Libman mop if you get one. I've been spending a small fortune on Swiffer WetJet pads and solution.

o

Steam cleaning uses very little water, so there isn't a need for a wet vacuum along with it. In steam cleaning, you apply super heated water (steam or vapor, whichever word you prefer) to loosen dirt, and then wipe away or otherwise transfer the dirt to a dry cloth.

When water is turned into steam, a little goes a long way. The smallest, least expensive steam mops have a capacity of a cup or so of water, and that will clean an entire floor. The larger, more expensive units will have a capacity of 2-3 quarts of water and will run for a couple of hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here