Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taft

Best Cleaner For Bathroom Fiberglass Shower/Tub

taft
18 years ago

What is THE best cleaner for these surfaces? I want to remove the water scale but I'm afraid of damaging the finish if I get too aggressive. There has to be a product that can dissolve the scale and not damage the fixtures?

All I use is Lysol basin/tub/tile cleaner but it can't remove the stubborn water scale in areas.

Comments (14)

• bryansda
    18 years ago

I found a cleaner and laundry detergent online that is great. Check out the Charlie's Soap general cleaner. It's not a cleaner that is going to power through, but let it sit for a short time and then just wipe the crud off. I cleaned a stainless steel sink that had set for months and was a real mess, sprayed in on and started rubbing but wasn't do a good job, sprayed on more, let it sit and wiped it clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie's Soap

• Maggie4
    18 years ago

Use can use soft scrub or windex.

• robinwv
    18 years ago

I found that Lime Away works well and doesn't harm the surface. Then after the scaling is removed, two coats of car wax - the kind that allows water to bead up - prevents future build up. I also use the after shower sprays that are on the market and keep a squeege in the shower to slick off the walls when my shower is over.

• jejvtr
    18 years ago

Zep spray cleaner I purchased at home depot

• LaToya
    18 years ago

I use plain old shampoo and one of those bath pouf things and it works great. I had some old V05 shampoo that I didn't like the smell of so I figured if it gets greasy gunky hair clean, it should get my tub clean too and it does. I don't bother with expensive cleansers anymore.

• outofmytree
    18 years ago

Hello- I wax my shower panels also. Use car wax, let it sit til it's ready to buff out. Cover the tub base with plastic or newspapers for easy clean up. Wax in the tub can create slips. Also cover my fan blades with car wax and buff as usual. Dust won't stick to the fan blades and it makes for easy clean up.
    Radd

• dotcom2000
    17 years ago

Use SoftScrub GEL, let it sit 5 - 10 mins, scrub with scotchbrite side of spounge, rinse well. Easy and tub looks like new!

• malia_2006
    17 years ago

Quick n Brite is the best cleaner for the shower. It works really good and it is all-natural and non-toxic. It won't harm any surface you put it on, but it cleans even the toughest stains. Just put it on and let it sit, then rinse clean. No scrubbing involved. I will never use anything else.

• drcindy
    17 years ago

Malia,

do you use the Quick N Brite paste or liquid? I am intrigued by this product...

• mafue
    17 years ago

I have tried all of your suggestions but I think I may have removed the finish. The fiberglass base is stained gray and I would like to know how to get it white again. Any suggestions?

• scarlett2001
    17 years ago

I like Mr. Clean Eraser - but not any of the imitations of it.

• subrosa
    13 years ago

I have used Comet Bathroom spray and it works very well. Lately, I have been unable to find it at the usual stores. Has it been discontinued? I live in lower mainland BC and according to their website it should be available at Zellers or Safeway but they haven't had any for several weeks.

• padams7187_aol_com
    13 years ago

Iuse Barkeepers Friend, it is a powder but it does not scracth.

• criterion29_aol_com
    13 years ago

well i have found WORKS it realy works , also CLR but with less intensity