Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanuine

smell left from an ozonator

jeanuine
16 years ago

I used a machine that produced ozone to try to remove mold. Now I have the odor it left, and it seems to be as toxic as the mold. Does anyone know how to get rid of it, I've had the windows wide open, fans on, ran the heater. It has ruined the room I had it in and contaminated the whole house. Any thoughts will be appreciated. trouble breathing j.

Comments (182)

• HU-923751862
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

John, I want to better understand "you've rid anything the ozone came into contact with...there shouldn't be a problem anymore." -- there are walls, windows, and other interior structures. So, ozone would be in contact with these surfaces even if contents are removed...so why would there be confidence in there not being a problem anymore, merely with contents removed? (for context, my ozone overkill was in the car, last week)

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

if it has been more than 14 days after your ozone treatment what you are smelling is not ozone and has nothing to do with the ozone treatment. what your smelling has ALWAYS BEEN THERE. it was just covered up by other junk and your no longer nose blind to it. the human brain ties the new smell to the ozone treatment therefore it has to be the ozone treatment that caused it. Everything around us off gasses ALL the time. The ozone generator speeds it up on the surface but it stops the process of speeding it up when the ozone is gone the increases in off gassing stops. burn a candle spray some smell goods, burn some popcorn in the microwave and you will become nose blind to it again

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

i do ozone applications for a living i have a 5000mg/hr machine that rotates weekly through out my house, I personally treat between 3-500 houses a year i pretty sure im qualified to talk on the matter.

you are incorrect a reaction can not continue once the reagent has depleted, it basic chemistry reagent/reactant gone (Ozone) there is nothing left to continue fueling an oxidant reaction. ergo reaction stops. that sweet metallic smell has always been there. its mold and/or air borne fungi decaying in your hvac vents most likely.

you can test my statements do an air quality sample before treating a house

wait 14 days repeat same air sample test compare

do a control sample outside the house with each test as well

• maxine royle
    2 years ago

Totally agree with you John R. After using an ozone generator in my apartment all clothes and other items started off gassing which ended up burning my throat and chest. l know I didnt make the pain up or the constant sweet smell that we all experience.

• HU-155820457
    2 years ago

No two people on the planet are the same. Over 7 billion people in the world and each and everyone person is different and can react different to different things. Some allergic to a certain perfume some allergic(or react you could say) to a different perfume or scents. List goes on and on and on in how people are sensitive to different things or scents. The smell that is bothering them is likely the same smell that comes out of the ozone machine the instant its turned on, we have all smelt it to a certain degree. So saying its decaying mold and fungi is false if you ask me. plus if ozone is that great the decaying is done, its all KILLED and no longer should bother them.

If said person did NOT have these issues before but now does and can smell something they didnt before then chances are what ever the smell is is doing it as they have done 50 or more tests to prove it. It may not be ozone or it may be or something the ozone caused/did. Can an air quality test test this, pretty sure the answer is not a chance. Can you go there and prove it chemically for them. ???? Likely not?, and its likely not the dust or what ever that they where exposed to for the last ten years in there building.

The only changed was ozone and now the issues, It could be a by product or could not be. Something is effecting them regardless.

• HU-923751862
    2 years ago

Dustin -- I value your expertise.

There is merit to the notion of noseblindness, but also maybe some missing pieces.

I have no smell of ozone (noseblindness) in my affected area (automobile) following a successful health treatment. I did not opt cover up the 'ozone odor' (sickly, vomit-ous mildew-like smell).

Because I was moving, all my things were in the automobile...that includes clothes.

I have barely any symptoms, relative to the traumatic event of running ozone and getting very ill (urine burning, heart racing, chest pain, throat sore. eyes burning, etc.), but they are there -- profuse sweating when using car, when wearing the clothes, etc. that also smells like white vinegar, meaning, *I* smell...and I have never smelled such from my sweat before.

I read that such odor can come from hormonal changes; I am susceptible to hormone changes when around toxins, due to an injury which affected my HPA Axis, which regulates hormones, and also which connects to liver, which detoxes excess toxins and which eliminates excess hormones...the smell may be something else, but it is 'new' to my pick-up/perception since the ozone treatment, and the sweating is utterly new (I tend to not sweat when most others do).

To rid the post-ozone smell in the automobile (or the nose's perception of it), I personally cannot tolerate candles, carpet shampoo, etc., nor can I rid of clothing it took years to acquire and cannot easily replace (due to need for smooth-textured clothes with specialized stitching that is soft and not rough, and heavy use of silks and other fine, expensive fabrics). What would you suggest to rid this smell (please don't say ozone)? I have noticed eating salt helps the health symptoms that arose post ozone-treatment -- as if it binds to the toxins. Any idea on how salt ions/molecules might be interacting to help draw out ozone after effects...and how to apply this in an automobile/on affected objects?

Related to post-ozone health symptoms, the fact I have any tells me of the downsides mechanical ozone causes -- my body is sweating to detox, aka, remove from within it the ozone (or off-gassing from ozone) it is being subject to...what have you seen helps clients of yours who have health symptoms inside of and after the 14 days you mention?

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

I want to address this first "(sickly, vomit-ous mildew-like smell)" O-zone does not nor should not ever smell like this.

Here are some of the ways the smell of ozone is described:

• Metallic
    • Like a burning wire
    • Like chlorine
    • A “clean” smell
    • Sweet and pungent
    • Like an electrical spark

The smell you describe sound more like over heated transmission fluid or Antifreeze.

Some of the symptoms you describe are linked to High Concentrations of O-ZONE

Shortness of breath

Sore Throat

Increased Heart Rate (This is a secondary symptom to shortness of breath) not ozone directly

And Eyes Burning

But these symptoms in all studies went away after a few hours after being removed from exposure.

No hormonal changes or burning during urination has ever been reported with any OZONE exposure study.

Im assuming the smell stayed on your clothes after removing them from the automobile in question.

What is the year make and model of your car?

• HU-923751862
    2 years ago

Dustin, we can all describe it differently. (1) Ozone was ran, and this is the smell that my brain registered, pervasively, and it was not there before. (2) I am a medical professional. You are not. You are out of bounds in presenting medical data as if conclusive...and the studies on ozone damage of this nature [by professional machines in closed spaces] are so poorly represented, your words related to reports cannot have any basis for statistically significant credibility. Rather than being a community member who operates with grace, you have managed to alienate a listening audience, repeatedly, by taking an invalidating approach. My conversation with you is done.

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

these are studies by the EPA and have been verified through peer review. I have not had a single customer that has had a prolonged exposure issue, when a customer would come back with persistent smell we will take air quality samples in each room and send them out for lab analysis and track down the location and chemical similarities to items in nearby area and work the problem not blame it on the O-Zone that is no longer existent. It could be decaying biological matter attached to walls etc, in automobile though there are several items that could be generating those smells and physiological symptoms and alot of them could actually affect hormonal and thyroid reaction depending on the chemical at play.

Articles for your reading enjoyment

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/es972316l

https://www.epa.gov/ozone-pollution-and-your-patients-health/health-effects-ozone-general-population

p.s. you don't know my educational background, i dont use what i went to school for as a defense. you could have attended the best colleges in the country and still make mistakes. The human brain and thought process is easily manipulated by ones self to believe what you want to believe Correlation is not causation still rings true.

At the end of my last statement i asked what the make and model of your car is, If you are in the medical profession then you most likely drive a luxury car like a Mercedes or a Lexus and depending on the Year Make and Model it may actually have a O-zone generator built into the ventilation system .

also "sickly, vomit-ous mildew-like smell" is also more akin to mold

MVOC or microbial volatile organic compounds

you might want to look into that route more as it seems to correlate better to your symptoms

and several types of varieties can thrive in automobile environments and it would make sense that their spores could get on your clothing and easily be transported into the house as well

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

John R did i say specifically that burning plastic smell was probably mold....? No i didnt

i said "sickly, vomit-ous mildew-like smell" is also more akin to mold or can also fit into the smell of burnt transmission fluid

• Anthony R
    2 years ago

Dustin with my situation i over gassed my house. It’s been 9 months and I still have off gassing smell that had a burning wire type smell and when I go outside my shirts start smelling like a Peroxide smell when my cloths off gas in the heats. My wife hair starts smelling like burning wire just from sitting in the house after a day. I just want to get reed of the smell. If anyone knows a chemist maybe there’s a way to turn the 03 molecules at 0.01 ppm to a bigger molecule so it could be big enough to go through the charcoal air purifier. This is a more complex issue. That might not even be the answer. I can get laundry soap and put it in a cup for a few minutes. And everyone else says the soap doesn’t smell like nothing compared to when I first put it in there. To me it has a different smell. The way I’m looking at it is that the 03 that’s in the air attached to the other o3 deodorant smell and turned it to a 02 Which for the 60 percent of people won’t smell nothing but the the other 40 percent detect a different smell. Even with my cologne I put on my shirts usually last for days if I didn’t wash it. I can set in my house for a couple hours and my shirt won’t smell like nothing. There is something going on. Also when the sun in beaming in my house the smell gets stronger. My mouth starts tasting like a metallic taste.

• Anthony R
    2 years ago

John r I was just letting Dustin know it’s a real thing and my experience with it. I already painted and replaced carpet. I probably have to gut the whole house. No one know the answer right now because it’s not really brought to that many people attention. What I’m saying is that it would only be a organic, inorganic Chemist to figure out a solution.

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

if you want to find out what VOCs are causing the smell have a lab come out and sample the air.

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

John the reason the college didn't respond is the very reason i keep saying the same thing, What your smelling is not caused by O3. Ozonating may not solve the problem after the initial treatment but getting an AIR SAMPLE tested by LAB will TELL YOU what is in the AIR in your HOME. 14 days AFTER a treatment their is no more O3 lingering about other than what is created naturally in your surroundings...

If you cant understand that an air quality test in your home or car where you are smelling these smells can help you identify the source then i dont know what to tell you.

• Anthony R
    2 years ago

I got a air Quility test but since it wasn’t over 1.0 ppm they wouldn’t take the sample of the air for further testing. This molecule that is a blue gas ozone is a smaller ppm I have. A charcoal air purifier that is supposed to get molecule as small as 0.03. For this not to be working I’m thinking the molecule is 0.01 are lower in the ppb.. as the health department said I would have to pay someone that test for molecule smaller then that.

• maxine royle
    2 years ago

Dustin all I can say is the problem in my apartment which had been going on for 6 months never affected my clothes, furniture etc until an ozone genorator was used. From that day on my health has been affected, I buy new clothes and they continue to have that smell which I breath in and get a sore throat and chest. This never happened until the ozone was used. If you read through this whole thread from the beginning we all have the same story and it all came from using ozone

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

Anthony PPM (Particles Per Million ) is a measurement of Quantity and not particle Size Activated Charcoal Filters cause a Chemical Reaction with O3 causing the third Oxygen particle to break free (its not attached very strong anyway.) it will typically attach to one of the carbon atoms on the filter. While the newly converted O2 keeps carrying on its merry way. the size of the particle that any air filtration system is going to use is going to be measured in Microns (µm) a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) have a MERV Rating of 16 is going to capture 99.97% of dust, pollen, mold, etc with a size of 0.3 Microns. Now as the filter captures more and more particulate it becomes better at capturing smaller and smaller particulate to a point where it starts to effect the efficiency of the device moving the air (HVAC, Stand alone air filtration unit.) Now it would stand to reason that the amount measured was below 1.0PPM because if a person were exposed to 50PPM for a time period of 60 minutes it would most likely result in fatal outcome for that person. the human nose can detect ozone in quantities at or below 10.00 PPB or Parts Per Billion...

Now with all that being said im gonna try and break this down on a molecular level a little bit.

and O3 generator or (Ozonator) that 99 percent of the people on this forum are talking about uses Ceramic Plats with wire and high voltage to form a Corona Discharge which breaks apart some O2 to allow the creation of O3 there is a lot happening for the mechanism to take place so for brevity im keeping it simple.

The newly generated O3 Leaves the machine via a Fan pushing it out into the surrounding area Where it will begin oxidizing VOCs and other items and through covalent or ionic bonding now as this is taking place O3 is being converted back to O2 because the 3rd Oxygen molecule was stripped away in the oxidation process thus converting O3 back into O2.

Now with all this said there are alot variables in every single situation brought up here and everyone is pointing that the common factor is indeed they had an Ozone treatment done.

I dont know the environmental variances for each location

(Humidity, Temp, Population Density, Construction materials involved)

I know John R is convinced that im just trying to pass it off onto something, but i actually do come from a scientific background. I know that after 14 days that the ozone generated by the machine is no longer in play.

There could be other things generating Ozone in the Vicinity

Most people are un aware that your Higher end luxury cars (Mercedes,BMW, Etc) have ozone generator in the HVAC system

Some In home HVAC systems Have "Ionizers" and UV-V / UV-C Air sanitizers in them which also generate Ozone.

I can only pull off of my experience and knowledge in the field and as an Engineer

My first Suggestion is get a AirFiltration unit or Units that can cycle the entire volume of air in a room 2 times per hour Preferably with Activated Charcoal Filter if it doesn't include one you can typically get clip on ones.

The Activated Charcoal will help reduce any naturally generated O3 and will help absorb any VOC While the HEPA Filtration will remove fine particulate out of the Air.

I would also suggest having a video inspection of all the HVAC ducting Lots of moisture and and dirt can build up inside and it is very much and OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND situation. Have them cleaned and sterilized.

When i treat a home We bring big 2600 CFM Air scrubbers and created a negative pressure environment for at a minimum of an hour then we leave a smaller 400-800 CFM air filtration unit in each room for upto a month after.

Your HVAC system is critical cause contrary to popular belief your homes HVAC system does not bring in outside air it just recirculates the same air OVER and OVER and the only thing cleaning it is that little paper filter you should be changing every month but lets be honest and say it more realistically gets changed every 3 months.

So you can keep saying im part of this BIG OZONE Scrubber company conspiracy to blame on everything else. or do some digging in the dark dingy spots in your home and make sure there isnt something else causing the problem. I want to help breathe fresh clean air but blaming it on a machine months after that source has been removed makes no sense. I have chemical background, I have an engineering background Not a chemical engineer. but i understand chemical reactions and how they work. i can read an air quality test and understand what it means.

Now there may be a strong source of OZONE in the location where these symptoms are presenting and the big "Ozonator" treatment killed off whatever was breaking down that o3 before it affected you in the past and now your getting the effects of that. Which is a VERY VERY BIG possibility... Just a thought

• maxine royle
    2 years ago

I moved to a new apartment and didnt bring one single item including clothes from my old apartment. After 2 days my new clothes had that smell and now the apartment does to. I can only think its in my system and is coming from my skin onto the clothes which must be gassing. Its like I cant escape from it

• Dustin Williams
    2 years ago

Well the human body does create Ozone its a minimal amount. but i would go to Endocrinologist and have your hormone levels checked to make sure there is no underlying issues.

• Courtney Suitter
    2 years ago

I know this is a super old thread, but I wanted to comment, because it sounds like a case where you left it on for too long. I'm not sure how powerful this machine was that you used (professional ozone generating machines will tell you how much ozone they generate and what size of room they are best for), but from what I understand from my own research, if you have the right size machine for the space you are using it in, you are only supposed to leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then air the space out. What happens after the machine destroys all of the germs, mold, odors, etc, in the air, is that it will then move on to breaking down the materials in its environment, which includes plastic fibers, paint, lacquer, etc, and so if ozone permeates these materials for an extended period, there will be a toxic smell left behind from those partially degraded products. People really need to make sure that they have studied how ozone works and how to use it safely before they proceed.

• no name
    2 years ago

It stunk for hours and still stinks now 24+hrs after 30 min treatment of bedroom. Using 5g/hour machine.

I timed it so the extractor fan turns on automatically after 30 mins and left the window open downstairs to suck in fresh air.

Left the house for 3 hours and when I came back no ozone smell downstairs or upstairs, only in bedroom. I went to bed and I could still smell it, but it's a lot weaker now in the morning and more tolerable.

But how is the smell still there? When I fart or spray deodorant the smell is completely gone after a few mins with the extractor fan on. I don't understand it.

• smelly bedroom
    2 years ago

It stunk for hours and still stinks now 24+hrs after 30 min treatment of bedroom. Using 5g/hour machine.

I timed it so the extractor fan turns on automatically after 30 mins and left the window open downstairs to suck in fresh air.

Left the house for 3 hours and when I came back no ozone smell downstairs or upstairs, only in bedroom. I went to bed and I could still smell it, but it's a lot weaker now in the morning and more tolerable.

But how is the smell still there? When I fàrt or spray deodorant the smell is completely gone after a few mins with the extractor fan on. I don't understand it.

• smelly bedroom
    2 years ago

Update: 48+ hours now and there is still a noticeable ozone smell that irritates my lungs. Windows have been open all day & night and the smell went away, but when I close it comes back I don't think I'll be doing this again. My lungs and nose feel dry and harsh.

• sprinkle of spirituality
    2 years ago

I am going to have to agree with Courtney Suitter. My family has used ozonators for a little over a decade. It sounds like there may have been little ventilation in the room or that it was left on for too long. I have experienced similar irritations in my lungs, but it was primarily due to the concentration or the ozone and its proximity from me. How big was the area it was in? The ozone may have been too concentrated for the area's size. Moving it around the room while it is cleansing may assist in dispersing the smell. The ozone would really seep into those nooks and crannies within the room, so it might also be good to put fans on in it as well. I hope this helps!

• HU-454652323
    2 years ago

Really bizarre what some have experienced. I have repeatedly used an ozone generator in my apt and have only good things to report. Fresh, clean air, nothing like what some have reported / experienced. Of course, I only use it for less than 30 minutes at a time, while away. I wish I had some thoughts to share as to why some have these issues, but I am truly at a loss. Smelling the fresh scent on items is actually a good thing, as it shows you have rid the item of negative molecules. Any harmful effects from the ozone generator running dissipates in 30 mins or less. Reverts back to oxygen, but leaves the fresh scent. Perhaps for some, there was some unknown issue already in their body.....Just a guess, as I love the results I get from mine. Take care, all

• Annonymous
    2 years ago

I also recently have had an issue with ozone. i moved into an apartment that had a smoke smell and so i notified the landlords. they told me that they would do an ozone treatment to rid the apartment of the smoke smell. i had to go out of town so it was perfect since they told me i would have to leave my apartment. i was told the treatment was done friday afternoon. when i returned to my apartment sunday night the smoke smell was gone but there was now an intense, chlorine like, smell left behind. even though all windows had been open since friday. i then entered into my closet and had to back out. my clothes WREAKED of that chlorine smell, even after washing. the landlords told me the smell would go away in a couple days but i am scared i am going to have to replace my clothes or or, from reading this thread, the smell never goes away and i have to get a new apartment. it has been a nightmare.

• HU-746739764
    2 years ago

I too have been affected by using an ozone generator. I'm experiencing burning lips and mouth, sore tongue, chest discomfort. I am awaiting air quality tests. I learned that ozone can cause formaldahyde in everyday items like furniture, wood, paint, and clothing to off-gas. I have two air purifiers going, humidifiers, and airing out the house. I've cleaned with baking soda and vinegar. It's helped some but not enough. Anyone else been successful?

• maxine royle
    2 years ago

I threw out all my clothes, bed and couch. Ive moved out for a while and left the place airing. It seems to be getting better

• HU-746739764
    2 years ago

I too am dealing with this issue. ran the generator and now experience burning lips tongue eyes chest and throat discomfort. threw out couch, washed clothes in baking soda and vinegar. sealing walls and repainting a room has helped. what a nightmare. i also did air quality test and they came back negative. the ozone generator some how affected the furniture and clothing.

• HU-746739764
    2 years ago

I bought a Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool Formaldehyde™ HP09 and it is working great. The Ozone Generator reacted with the furniture and released formaldehyde and left behind particles that are too big for most air purifers to collect but the HP09 picks them up and restores the air quality. I had my air tested and it came back okay, but the Dyson indicates the air qual is poor and is working to restore it.

• HU-746739764
    2 years ago

This is the air quality in my house after using an Ozone Generator.

• maxine royle
    2 years ago

Thats amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• HU-607959633
    2 years ago

Wow. I just read this whole thread after searching for how to get the ozone smell out of a ball cap. I read before all the wonderful things about ozone and bought a little $50 unit with a hose and bubble stone to use for little sanitation projects. I put my cap in a bucket with a lid and hosed in the ozone for an hour. The smell occurs to me as bleach. I aired out my cap for two days in front of a fan, but how much of any kind of gas could be hiding in a ball cap? I sprayed it with Febreze and it helped for like an hour, then back to "bleach". It's been 4 days and I can't wear it. The smell causes an instant headache. Before I did the hat, I hosed into the refrigerator for like 10 minutes (Lots of units sold specifically for keeping in the fridge). Now the fridge stinks nearly a week later. It's been aired out multiple times for about 10 minutes at a pop, to not warm up too much.

What I have concluded is that ozone must be timed perfectly to kill just what needs killing, but too much causes a breakdown of materials which in turn causes terrible off-gassing after the ozone is just a memory. I agree with whoever said they should be sold with warnings and even require some training. I had envisioned getting a big one for the whole house (we have a cat who sprays), but Holy Cow - NEVER! Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, my heart goes out to you. I know the smell you're talking about, and I can't imagine having it throughout my home. I almost bought an ozone contraption for the laundry, but no way, no how. There is something sinister about ozone that no amount of talking can neutralize.

• Jens-Peter Thomsen
    2 years ago

Dear All,

I have been searching for a wide case study like this, for some time now. We had a case 2.5 years back, where a freezer was left without power, and then it “died” during our vacation. You can all imagine the smell after rotten meat, that was creeping out on the floor, in our basement. After getting rid of the freezer our insurance company should oversee getting rid of the smell. They did a short time ozone treatment, and when we returned back home from the vacation, then we couldn’t breath for the smell of dead..

The Insurance/cleaning company decided to re-house us for 12 days, and then they planned for a huge ozone operation inhouse. The used the ozone machine for some 43 hours in a row, we checked the kilowatt used, as this was the only consumer inhouse at that time.

We were send back to de-airing of the house for 2 days, before moving back in, and this was done during office hours before the weekend.

We came back home on the Sunday, after the 14 days, and the living room was filled up with 25 boxes of cleaned clothes, blankets etc. from an external company. We started to unpack all these boxes, but immediately we discovered a strange smell from all the boxes.

After ½ hour my wife started to get blue fingertips, feeling cold, got a fewer, despite outside temp. of 22 degrees (August). Even the dog was looking strange and blinked constantly. I was getting same symptoms, as my wife after 1 hour

We then called the cleaning company to get rid of all 25 boxes, and was of the believe that then everything was ok again. It later turned out that the smelling from the clothes was an extreme de-gassing, after the ozone treatment, that couldn’t even be stopped by a professional cleaning.

We then stayed in the house for a few more days, but my wife, who is not working, was getting strange symptoms, and after consulting with our doctor, we again left the house. I only had headache, but again, I was at work the most of the time.

We then demanded our insurance company to perform a throughout investigation by the Danish Technological Institute, Construction and Plant.

I have attached the report outcome below, for you all to see the real impact, when overdoing ozone treatments. It turns out, that ozone are attacking all organic materials and these are then starting to de-gas. It’s however very hard to find de-gassing examples, as to see how long time it’s being active. Also furniture will hold back these gasses to a certain extent, and this also goes for the ozone, I guess..

Please see link for material overview, for damages by Ozone, on page 12 in the PDF. Interesting reading..

https://ozonesolutions.com/content/DefinitiveGuide.pdf

We ended up in getting all in-house belongings covered by the insurance company, and the house was bought by the insurance company too, as we couldn’t move back into the house either. All building material are also being attacked, Paint, sealings, rubber, wooden materials Etc.

We know they ended up renting a huge carbon filter machine (In Sweden) for 8 weeks and then we learned that they again sold our house to a family near by.

Now 2.5 years after my wife has got issues with her lungs, and following has been diagnosed:

Air trapping, bronchiectasis, bronchial wall thickening, scar tissues, pleurisy and with a proven 25% decreased lung capacity.

We are now looking into a strange thing called “causation” and as there has been no similar cases ever in Denmark for this, then I’m looking abroad for associates, as to find cases that have been handled by local courts Etc.

below was all the different type of gasses/positionings found in our house, 10 days after we moved out of the house again. You will see that a lot of the gasses are normally newer found in living areas, so can only imagine what they can do in in conjunction

The identified components are listed in the table below as concentrations in µg/m³ in the attached pictures!!!

I hope someone can support for getting on here...

From a deperate couple from Denmark

Lene and Jens

• michael boylin
    2 years ago

I'm currently experiencing the same thing with contents that were cleaned after a fire.

• Sophie Richardson
    last year

The same thing has occured to me with a car cleaned, nothing can get the smell out of it. It's like a strong chemically smell, probably similarly to Lene and Jens. I'm likely going to scrap the car (a complete loss) if I cannot find a solution to it which i'm hitting my end very soon

• Sophie Richardson
    last year

BTW per this peer-reviewed paper, TiO2 (titanium dioxide) seems to be able to severely attack/neutralize all the -aldhyde's (formaldehyde, etc) which appear to form when biochemicals react to the O3/ozone per the readings based on Lene and Jens' situation. I'm getting some of that to attempt on my car.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289501325_Removal_of_Indoor_Volatile_Organic_Compounds_via_Photocatalytic_Oxidation_A_Short_Review_and_Prospect

The one caveat though is that even if I get it the formaldehyde may have penetrated too deep into everything, making such an effort not effective enough in the end.

I do think Dyson Purifier Hot+Cool Formaldehyde™ HP09 per HU-746739764's suggestion combined with this is probably your best bet along with some substantial airing out of things over the course of weeks or even months, but it could still be impossible to undo.

In the end, Ozone Generators need to be running with pretty strong / extreme formaldehyde sensors whenever they're ran (and throughout a house if it's a whole house situation) so that they all shut off at the first sign any raise in levels occur in order to prevent this. That's something professionals need to start looking into.

As this will sit on the internet for ages, PROFESSIONAL CLEANERS, it may be in your interest, whenever to be doing ozone based cleaning, to have wifi formaldehyde detectors going back to a central app (or to the device itself) in order to SHUT THINGS OFF if the levels start rising in order to prevent this from occurring and further risk to your own business in the future.

In the meantime i've ordered CARPRO SO2Pure Odor Eliminator which is based on TiO2 nanoparticles as well as MKeco 300 which operates similarly as a formaldehyde neutralizer from japanese cypress extract (we'll see). I have considered getting a HP09 or TP09 (a weaker model) but they're $1000 and $500 apiece and i'm already going broke from this.

In the end, all of this may be a loss because i'm only addressing surface things and everything is now deep into the fabric. And my car just isn't that valuable.

Overall, people (chemists PLEASE STEP IN) this is a thing, Ozone does appear to react to various materials, glues, solvents used in everyday things, and such a reaction does appear to make -aldhyde's (formaldehyde, etc) form which is noxius and toxic to humans.

I do think it takes quite a bit to kick in, so whether it's mutiple treatments (as I had an ex-smoker's car and this came about later ones) or one extremely intensely done treatment, so it's something that won't commonly occur, but there's a huge varability based on the materials, fabrics, glues, rubber that react to the Ozone/O3 causing it to become noxious fumes.

For those who don't belive me, peer reviewed studies have PROVEN this:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412014001093

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es0708520

https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI3636497/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S135223100601123X

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/es00036a006

Anyways, I'm just a person with a car that will likely get scrapped by this who is kind of obsessed with science. Hope this helps future people.

• maxine royle
    last year

Thanks for sharing all this information. I went through this 18 months ago in my house.

• Sophie Richardson
    last year
    last modified: last year

Glad to, Maxine. This is really a horrible thing and I can't even imagine how bad it would be in a home. I'm glad you're long past it. I really tried to fix my car but it's looking like i'm going the same route you are.

I relaly hope my TiO2 strategy might possibly work so SOME people have solutions in the future. But if not, the concept that Ozone can cause this needs to be gotten to the masses!

• HU-11997745
    last year

Maxine, were you able to resolve your issue after ozone treatment? I'm facing the same problem in our house. The off-gassing seems to be coming from painted walls. It's been 3 months months now, but we can still smell bleachy/sweet/lemony smell.

• maxine royle
    last year

Hey guys, I originally ozoned because of a mould problem in my home that was making me sick. After the treatment it didnt fix the mould and I could smell ozone in my car, clothes and on me for months and it was awful. I wish I had a magic answer but over time it does get better. Venalation and air purifiers definetly help

• HU-11997745
    last year

Thanks, Maxine. We were lucky that the house was empty. Ozone seemed to have reacted with the freshly painted living room walls. The walls still smell but the smell does seems to be not as strong as before. We dont want to repaint since we don’t know anything if that would help. The only way would be to rip off the drywall. For now we are still hoping that airing out will disspitate the smell.

• Cris R
    last year
    last modified: last year

By the way, they supposedly used the machine for an hour in the car, I doubt it was an industrial generator.

• Renee Russell
    last year

I too am having the same ozone smell issue ! I used it for the first time today in my teen sons room and I don’t like that ozone smell. I think for sure next time I use it in a smaller room , or any place in my home , 10 or 15 min max! I had it on in my sons bedroom for 30 min and think that was too long of a time . I am guessing natural oil diffusers and air fresheners wont mask the ozone smell? I don’t have smell issues in my home , but wanted the air to smell clean IDK maybe I will just use it in my unfinished basement..

• on3eighteen
    last year

It's both awful & good to read others have a similar problem because my family thinks I'm crazy & paranoid. But, at the end of the day, my body (and we're all unique) is not happy at all in my house. My lungs burn, shortness of breath, & headaches. It took me a whole week post ozone-treament to learn the ozone is not the issue anymore but what damage it did to objects which now are doing damage to me. I ran 2 massive industrial HEPA w/ carbon filters in all my rooms & nothing. Heck, it probably made things much worse b/c it just blew VOCs/etc everywhere. I am going w/ the recommendation to get the Dyson filter which can tackle formaldahyde. My worst fear is I'll never get rid of this & if I really want to do it right, replace $40K of clothing & furniture. But I can't let my mind go there or else I'll just start having panic attacks. A $150 ozone treatment has cost me so much more.

• Anthony R
    last year

I hope things get better for you. I spent &100 dollars for the treatment. I end up spending 10k just trying to get reed of it in everything i can do replacing floors, new paint new clothes. I sold my house and got a new one. Nothing else was working. It got a little better time to time but not all the way.

• HU-269380845
    last year

If we operate the ozone generator by passing the room air, then it passes with the oxygen other gases that result in gases in addition to ozone. To use pure ozone, a source of pure oxygen must be used, so that the ozone then turns into natural oxygen, and it should be in low concentrations.

• HU-746739764
    4 months ago

if you are have any allergic reactions after using an ozone generator like burning, mouth, eyes etc. you are most likely allergic to fragrances. I read that 30% of people have sensitivity to fragrances and ozone machines leaves behind a very distinct fragrance. Unfortunately there are no remedies to a fragrance allergy except to remove the fragrance. I tried to remove the smell left behind from the ozone machine by first putting out chunks of charcoal to absorb odor, ran a dyson air purifier that removed formaldehyde that ozone machine are known to release from furniture. I replaced carpeting, painted walls and ceilings with a stain blocker then repainted, removed any porous materials like cardboard that can absorb odor, and I filled bowls with vinegar to evaporate and neutralize odors. I washed clothing in baking soda, then soaked them in vinegar and hung on the line to air dry. All of this helped, but i can still smell sometimes and still have symptoms of burning mouth although not as severe. I got test for formaldyhyde which can back negative, but i was positive for fragrances. I went to an ENT who provided medication to reduce the burning mouth. I also rinced with Tabasco to desensitize my mouth and reduce the burning sensation. BOTTOM LINE, DO NOT USE OZONE MACHINES TO REMOVE ODORS OR FOR ANY OTHER REASON! THEY WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE!

• HU-900667555
    4 months ago

Dear All,

I have been searching for a wide case study like this, for some time now. We had a case 2.5 years back, where a freezer was left without power, and then it “died” during our vacation. You can all imagine the smell after rotten meat, that was creeping out on the floor, in our basement. After getting rid of the freezer our insurance company should oversee getting rid of the smell. They did a short time ozone treatment, and when we returned back home from the vacation, then we couldn’t breath for the smell of dead..

The Insurance/cleaning company decided to re-house us for 12 days, and then they planned for a huge ozone operation inhouse. The used the ozone machine for some 43 hours in a row, we checked the kilowatt used, as this was the only consumer inhouse at that time.

We were send back to de-airing of the house for 2 days, before moving back in, and this was done during office hours before the weekend.

We came back home on the Sunday, after the 14 days, and the living room was filled up with 25 boxes of cleaned clothes, blankets etc. from an external company. We started to unpack all these boxes, but immediately we discovered a strange smell from all the boxes.

After ½ hour my wife started to get blue fingertips, feeling cold, got a fewer, despite outside temp. of 22 degrees (August). Even the dog was looking strange and blinked constantly. I was getting same symptoms, as my wife after 1 hour

We then called the cleaning company to get rid of all 25 boxes, and was of the believe that then everything was ok again. It later turned out that the smelling from the clothes was an extreme de-gassing, after the ozone treatment, that couldn’t even be stopped by a professional cleaning.

We then stayed in the house for a few more days, but my wife, who is not working, was getting strange symptoms, and after consulting with our doctor, we again left the house. I only had headache, but again, I was at work the most of the time.

We then demanded our insurance company to perform a throughout investigation by the Danish Technological Institute, Construction and Plant.

I have attached the report outcome below, for you all to see the real impact, when overdoing ozone treatments. It turns out, that ozone are attacking all organic materials and these are then starting to de-gas. It’s however very hard to find de-gassing examples, as to see how long time it’s being active. Also furniture will hold back these gasses to a certain extent, and this also goes for the ozone, I guess..

Please see link for material overview, for damages by Ozone, on page 12 in the PDF. Interesting reading..

https://ozonesolutions.com/content/DefinitiveGuide.pdf

We ended up in getting all in-house belongings covered by the insurance company, and the house was bought by the insurance company too, as we couldn’t move back into the house either. All building material are also being attacked, Paint, sealings, rubber, wooden materials Etc.

We know they ended up renting a huge carbon filter machine (In Sweden) for 8 weeks and then we learned that they again sold our house to a family near by.

Now 2.5 years after my wife has got issues with her lungs, and following has been diagnosed:

Air trapping, bronchiectasis, bronchial wall thickening, scar tissues, pleurisy and with a proven 25% decreased lung capacity.

We are now looking into a strange thing called “causation” and as there has been no similar cases ever in Denmark for this, then I’m looking abroad for associates, as to find cases that have been handled by local courts Etc.

below was all the different type of gasses/positionings found in our house, 10 days after we moved out of the house again. You will see that a lot of the gasses are normally newer found in living areas, so can only imagine what they can do in in conjunction

The identified components are listed in the table below as concentrations in µg/m³ in the attached pictures!!!

I hope someone can support for getting on here...

From a deperate couple from Denmark

Lene and Jens