Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built in soap dish in shower has old soap crust like stone!

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 22:05

I would need a chisel to get this residue out! I actually made a ceramic liner to go into it (I take pottery classes for fun), that I can remove to wash. But until I can get the old crust out, I can''t use it. I use that Scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner, but it does not seem to have any effect on this, perhaps because the soap dish is recessed into the wall. That must play a role in why this happened in the first place.

It's embarrassing to admit. (Luckily, I have an alias!) However, I had my hands full for a number of years, and details like these were just not a priority.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built in soap dish in shower has old soap crust like stone!

Try wetting the area. Either pour water on it or soak a rag and keep it over the soap dish, touching the nasty hard stuff. It will (hopefully) soften a bit and you can then attack it with something hard, like a metal spoon or spatula. Manually dig it out the best you can, then keep it clean by wiping every time you use the tub/shower.Good luck!

o

I agree, lay a hot wet wash cloth on it, keep it there for as long as necessary, it should get soft.

o

I just checked my soap dish and it came clean, I do neglect it when I wipe it all down. I have a spot where my shampoo bottles sit and there are very sharp points that will not wipe off. They are not on the the shelf but a little above it. I am going to leave it there because I don't want to scratch the surface and that is what it would take. It was probably over looked in the cleaning and polishing process at the manufacturer.

o

Emma, those sharp points may be the beginning of corrosion. I have that too. Is it metal?

o

No it is not metal, not sure what it is, fiberglass maybe. I don't think it can be rust, they are white.

o

Sounds like scale build-up. You can buy scale remover or use vinegar. You could use the same idea of soaking a towel in the scale remover or vinegar and leave it over night. I would use some old rag that you can just throw away and probably cotton would be best if you choose to use that scale remover which is kind of strong. Vinegar will probably not harm a cloth. This may take a few times to get it all. But if it's hard and sharp that would most likely be scale from your water. We have scale in our water and vinegar gets it off. It can also build up on the shower head and cause the water to not come out very good, you can put vinegar in a baggie and put it on the shower head and use some tape to hold it there over night. It will be clean in the morning!

o

I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my to-do list with a soap scale problem: Dawn dishwashing soap mixed half and half with hot vinegar. Google the words Dawn and vinegar for details.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here