Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Built in soap dish in shower has old soap crust like stone!

I would need a chisel to get this residue out! I actually made a ceramic liner to go into it (I take pottery classes for fun), that I can remove to wash. But until I can get the old crust out, I can''t use it. I use that Scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner, but it does not seem to have any effect on this, perhaps because the soap dish is recessed into the wall. That must play a role in why this happened in the first place.

It's embarrassing to admit. (Luckily, I have an alias!) However, I had my hands full for a number of years, and details like these were just not a priority.

Any ideas?

Comments (14)

• jannie
    10 years ago

Try wetting the area. Either pour water on it or soak a rag and keep it over the soap dish, touching the nasty hard stuff. It will (hopefully) soften a bit and you can then attack it with something hard, like a metal spoon or spatula. Manually dig it out the best you can, then keep it clean by wiping every time you use the tub/shower.Good luck!

• emma
    10 years ago

I agree, lay a hot wet wash cloth on it, keep it there for as long as necessary, it should get soft.

• emma
    10 years ago

I just checked my soap dish and it came clean, I do neglect it when I wipe it all down. I have a spot where my shampoo bottles sit and there are very sharp points that will not wipe off. They are not on the the shelf but a little above it. I am going to leave it there because I don't want to scratch the surface and that is what it would take. It was probably over looked in the cleaning and polishing process at the manufacturer.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emma, those sharp points may be the beginning of corrosion. I have that too. Is it metal?

• emma
    10 years ago

No it is not metal, not sure what it is, fiberglass maybe. I don't think it can be rust, they are white.

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Sounds like scale build-up. You can buy scale remover or use vinegar. You could use the same idea of soaking a towel in the scale remover or vinegar and leave it over night. I would use some old rag that you can just throw away and probably cotton would be best if you choose to use that scale remover which is kind of strong. Vinegar will probably not harm a cloth. This may take a few times to get it all. But if it's hard and sharp that would most likely be scale from your water. We have scale in our water and vinegar gets it off. It can also build up on the shower head and cause the water to not come out very good, you can put vinegar in a baggie and put it on the shower head and use some tape to hold it there over night. It will be clean in the morning!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my to-do list with a soap scale problem: Dawn dishwashing soap mixed half and half with hot vinegar. Google the words Dawn and vinegar for details.

• remutaka
    5 years ago

Somehow this thread got switched to a conversation on removing scale "points" from someone else's soap dish. I'd love more responses to the original question as I have the same problem in a newly purchased home. The built in soap dish has this light caramel colored build-up of melted soap that is hard as a rock and about 1/4" inch thick. Linnea56, were you ever able to remove yours? What worked?

Original Author
    5 years ago

I tried the vinegar soak, which did nothing. It's still there! I gave up.

• Terry Mautner
    3 years ago

Used a power washer (in the driveway. Then washed the driveway with the soap that came off the caddy) on the built up soap.

• krissie55
    3 years ago

Sounds like you need to use the chisel!!

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Remutaka, have you found any solution to your?

• HU-357407929
    last year

I’m going to try liquid dishwasher detergent. It works on dried on foods on my bakeware, so maybe it will cut through the soap scum build up.

Original Author
    last year

HU-357407929, did you have any luck?