Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stain on suede/leather shoes

Posted by kss1956 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 21:41

I broke a bottle of Zyrtec (allergy liquid medicine) and it went on the suede part of my shoes. Shortly after this happened, I went to a shoe repair store who told me "you can't get grease off of suede". He had some foam product that I didn't buy.

I am in desparate need of advice because I have a hard time finding shoes to fit. I just read to purchase a suede eraser (where do I purchase this?), or a pencil eraser if you don't that this, or medium sandpaper used sparingly. Any input is greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stain on suede/leather shoes

Suede is really tricky since it has a nap, and you didn't mention the color of your shoes. I use Lexol leather care products for my furniture, handbags, car seats. I buy mine at a store that sells horse saddles. This product is much better than the expensive stuff I have bought at furniture stores. They have a leather cleaner and also a conditioner. You may want to try the cleaner. I wouldn't rub anything abrasive on suede because I think it would destroy the nap.

o
RE: stain on suede/leather shoes

If it's a fresh grease stain sprinkle with talcum powder and leave for a couple of hours then brush it off. Talcum powder absorbs the grease but it only works if you haven't used cleaners or anything first.

You can also iron the spot out, just like you do with candle wax. Place a pad of paper towel on top of the stain and iron. The heat melts the grease and the towel absorbs it. It might be a little awkward with shoes but give it a try

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here