Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stubborn bath tub

Posted by corabeeblue (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 21:35

I have been living in my house for about two months now and the only thing about it that really displeases me is the bath tub. When I first saw it, I thought that it was just dirty and needed a wipe down with some bleach. However after two months, (during which time I tried pretty much everything to get out what I assumed was dirt and grime) nothing has worked. I'm beginning to think that what I'm seeing isn't dirt and that it may be some kind of scratches? I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having and what (short of replacing the tub, of course) I can do to remedy it because it's kind of embarrassing since I'm sure people assume the tub isn't clean when they see it. I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stubborn bath tub

. It appears as if the tub is has one of those non-slip surfaces. This is an old thread that addresses this issue

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg0621310831905.html

o

Wow, good to know I'm not alone here. I think I'll try the Dawn/Comet combination, as I have both of these on hand. Thanks for your help!

o

Easy Off oven cleaner in the blue can (less fumes) works great... I use to use it all the time because the regular cleaners just did not cut thru the soap scum build up on the non slip bottom of the shower. I honestly thought it would never be clean or look good again. I read on a message board about using the oven cleaner and tried it with great success. Now as a regular tub/shower cleaner I use half and half mixture of regular strength Dawn dishwashing liquid and vinegar in a spray bottle.

o

Mr. Clean magic eraser, is the best thing II have found for the, non slip finish in the tub!

Red

o

I had the same problem when we bought our house. The tub was not in bad shape but the bottom of the tub (non-slip section) was awful. I tried a few suggestions in this forum to no avail. I decided to use Bon ami non abrasive scouring powder with a Mr. Clean eraser. WALA it worked beautifully. Now granted my tub I gather had never been scrubbed so it took some scrubbing and a couple of Mr. Clean erasers! I have used Bon ami on my stainless steel pots for years and I have had them for over 30 years and still look new. I figured if it worked to take burn stains off my pot it should work on the tub. You can also use bon ami on your glass cook top, works wonders!

o

I had this problem with my last home and used bleach regularly which worked for me to get rid of the stains.

o

Mr Clean Magic Eraser, and for that much buildup add to it some Bon Ami... later maintenance just use the magic eraser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here