Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dishwasher smell...the little known culprit.....

Posted by pepfun1 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 21:20

My dishwasher was so nasty smelling. During the wash or dry cycles I'd have this nasty funky, sorta fishy smell coming from the vent.
Asked my fil (retired repairman) what in the world it could be. Thought for sure I'd have to take my dishwasher apart and clean something and this is the tip he gave me:

open up, take out the bottom rack. Where the door hinge meets the machine body, take a scrub brush (in my case I had to use a scrapper) and check the inner lip down there inside the machine (in the body just below where it meets the door) and clean the built up gunk off. OMG!!! It was soooo nasty. Took a bit of scrubbing but it's gone and so is the smell. Talk about disgusting build up! Just thinking this might help someone on here before they end up tearing their machine apart.
Have a great week!
Pep

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dishwasher smell...the little known culprit.....

There is another spot to check when things are really smelly...the water discharge pipe that goes into the garbage disposal. I was shocked at the gunk sticking around the hole and under the small lip of the disposal. My local hardware store had a product for the disposal that foamed and cleaned most of the gunk I hadn't gotten with my hand and paper toweling.

o
RE: Dishwasher smell...the little known culprit.....

When my dishwasher starts to smell, I buy a box of "Dip-It" powder cleaner usually used for coffee makers. Pour it into the DW soap dispensrer. there's enough in one box to run it 3-4 times. I find twice is plenty. Gets out most of the gunk and leaves a nice clean lemony smell behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here