Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downy/towels

Posted by imsmilng (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 21:15

Do you all use Downy fabric softener when washing towels? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't but my husband insists. Let me know if this is OK, so we can have a peaceful wash day :) Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downy/towels

Downy does leave the toweling feeling "soft", however, like most commercial fabric softeners, it leaves a film on the fabric that greatly decreases the absorbtion. You can try using vinegar in the bleach water (to remove the detergent) and machine drying without adding anything else. It's likely the towel will feel "coarse" and have wrinkles. Use of a Nellie's or similar item will greatly improve the fluffiness. I use a couple clean, elderly tennis balls which IMO, is just as effective.

You can also decrease the amount of Downey used, by diluting it before you add. I dilute the regular-strength liquid by putting 1/2 cup downey in a quart jar, fill with distilled water, and shaking thoroughly. I then fill the washer's dispenser only 1/2 full for a large 20-lb load. This is more than sufficient to counteract static, and leaves the towels feeling soft. In fact, DH used the downey once without diluting, and then complained that the towels felt slippery!

Here is a link that might be useful: dryer balls

o

I like Downy for clothing, sheets,etc. But I do my towels in a separate load, no Downy, and I rinse twice in cold water.

o

Use the fabric softener dryer sheets for towels. ;o)

patty_cakes

o

I wouldn't use it on every wash. Over time it builds up. My step-mother uses so much fabric softener on her towels that they're no longer absorbent. It's a pain trying to dry off with a waxy towel and the water just beading up against it.

Stumpy

o

I also use fabric softener "sometimes" on my towels. Often enough to keep them soft, but not to decrease their absorbancy.
Also 100% cotton towels absorb better, even with softener.
Linda C

o

I don't use liquid fabric softener anymore. I use Restoration Hardware Lavender fabric softener sheets and tennis balls in the dryer with the linens. My husband actually noticed how good the linens smelled for the first time in 18 years. The RH sheets are pricey, but to me they are worth every penny.

o

You shouldn't use liquid fabric softener OR dryer sheets with towels. Both will decrease the absorbancy of the towels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here